IGNORED

putting bike in storage

oldgoat

going to put the bike in storage soon.

stella has a battery tender but the garage has no electric in it right now.

so this is what I should do?

1 make sure tank is full with some seafoam in the tank run it the 2 miles to the garage.

2 shut off fuel valve after it gets into the carbs?

3 wash and wax the bike after it cools down.

4 pull battery and take home and put on shelf and hook up battery tender to it?

5 spray some wd -40 in the exhaust pipes to prevent rust?

6 cover pipes with plastic on the end use large rubber bands to hold in place.

7 just had the oil changed about 65 miles ago should I do it again?

8 bike has no center stand so it should not hurt the tires concrete floor?

9 cover bike with the cover and should be all done right?

I used to drain the carbs but now just shut off the fuel supply and run the carbs dry. It seems to work for me. I am also using Startron instead of Seafoam as I am told it has enzymes that actively remove any deposits. It also states that it is good for storing up to 2 years.

I have just been leaving it on the kick stand. No problems with the wheel bearings.

Hey... I saw this and while I now live in Texas and don't have to put my bike up for storage, I thought some of my boat tips might be of help. First, my sheriff's deputy friend said don't use wd 40 trying to prevent rust. He says the residue it leaves actually attracts moisture and rust ensues. I found that hard to believe but it sure did explain a lot of problems I had with rust on items I had coated with WD 40. It may loosen rust, but maybe it doesn't prevent it. He said... "NEVER use it on your gun for storage". Interested in comments... I suggest the RED Corrosion X product... subject to others' input. I used to spray my boat engine after wash-down with "Salt-away" and have always had good results. Green Corrosion "X" is real gooey

Also... I used Stabil (now the stuff for ethanol) for gas preservation... although I do run Seafoam in my gas on the bike fairly regularly. I used Spray Seafoam to "FOG" the boat motor and "decarb" it. Seems that would be appropriate for the bike too. A well known area mechanic has said publicly that "decarbing" a car engine with the Seafoam would be very good and not hurt the cat converter... or sensors... so how about some comments from others? Otherwise, I would run the carbs out of gas... but if you have ethanol in your fuel... be sure to use the appropriate stabilizer... or go out of your way if you can find gas without ethanol in it. The ethanol attracts moisture and apparently separates from the fuel if not treated.

Hope someone can corroborate this... don't want to mislead anyone. Like I said, I don't have to "store" my bike in winter any more! WOO HOO!!!

I've been busy and off the site for quite awhile... just renewed so hope to catch up quickly. Howdy all!

Guest tx2sturgis
going to put the bike in storage soon.

stella has a battery tender but the garage has no electric in it right now.

so this is what I should do?

1 make sure tank is full with some seafoam in the tank run it the 2 miles to the garage.

2 shut off fuel valve after it gets into the carbs?

3 wash and wax the bike after it cools down.

4 pull battery and take home and put on shelf and hook up battery tender to it?

5 spray some wd -40 in the exhaust pipes to prevent rust?

6 cover pipes with plastic on the end use large rubber bands to hold in place.

7 just had the oil changed about 65 miles ago should I do it again?

8 bike has no center stand so it should not hurt the tires concrete floor?

9 cover bike with the cover and should be all done right?

Add fuel stabilizer to a full tank and run through the carbs and engine. If you can find non-ethanol gas then do so. Ethanol gas does not store well.

Close petcock and let engine idle till it dies.

Dont worry about the wash and wax, unless its got mud or lots of bugs on it. It will get dusty anyway.

Pull battery, hook it up to the maintainer.

NO on the WD-40. NO on covering the pipes with plastic. If you are worried about critters, use small circular pieces of window screen that can fold back along the muffler for a few inches. Attach with zipties.

Existing oil will be fine, assuming it was not repeatedly 'short-tripped'. It should have reached operating temps for awhile to vaporize any moisture.

Sidestand is fine. Tires could develop flat spots or even cracks over a loooong storage time. Doesnt hurt to put small pieces of carpet under the tires to reduce this effect.

Cover the bike if possible, but only after it has completely cooled.

Hopefully this is just seasonal storage and you will ride again soon!

:happy34:

thanks just normal winter storage. nothing wrong with this bike bought it from leadwolf58. well from his wife. she is dusty but it will get that way in the garage.

wont do the wd-40 or cover the pipes. bike will be out in the spring as shall I god willing.

Add fuel stabilizer to a full tank and run through the carbs and engine. If you can find non-ethanol gas then do so. Ethanol gas does not store well.

Close petcock and let engine idle till it dies.

Dont worry about the wash and wax, unless its got mud or lots of bugs on it. It will get dusty anyway.

Pull battery, hook it up to the maintainer.

NO on the WD-40. NO on covering the pipes with plastic. If you are worried about critters, use small circular pieces of window screen that can fold back along the muffler for a few inches. Attach with zipties.

Existing oil will be fine, assuming it was not repeatedly 'short-tripped'. It should have reached operating temps for awhile to vaporize any moisture.

Sidestand is fine. Tires could develop flat spots or even cracks over a loooong storage time. Doesnt hurt to put small pieces of carpet under the tires to reduce this effect.

Cover the bike if possible, but only after it has completely cooled.

Hopefully this is just seasonal storage and you will ride again soon!

:happy34:

James, just like this says and Stella will be fine. We didn't experience any problem storing her.

Guest tx2sturgis
Nope, I'm good, but thanks for the concern...:whistling: However, I'll be storing my new bike, my 2009 Roadstar " Ruby" and she could use a wash and wax if you are offering..... :)

Hi Sue... nice to meet you.

Bring it here and I'll spray some Pledge on it.

:p