IGNORED

auto-bike starter solenoid help

Ok I spent 2 days looking for the hooking up a ford solenoid on my 83 venture with no luck with the actual hooking up of the solenoid :confused24:. I found ones saying which one to use and what not but how do I hook up the wires? I guess I could take it back and save up a couple 3 weeks and buy Yamaha one but was hopefully just going to use the ford one if anybody can help. I have cleaned the start button switch and stuff also just for info. Thanks Chris

Well for anybody needing to know I figured it out. The little red/yellow goes to "S" terminal-- Red battery side wire goes to big post on S terminal side --the starter wire goes on the other big post--blue/white wire hooks to the housing on the solenoid (through bolt hole or whatever you can) so when you hit the start button it completes the connection by grounding the solenoid/complete start circuit, I did have a lil tear in my eye when I hit the button and it worked. :dancefool:and this is the dance I did it front of my wife while she starred at me strangely.***edit**** make sure you wrap it in rubber or foam or don't it ground to metal or it starts when key turns on.........:bang head::bang head: don't know why I didn't think of that one to begin with duh......

Edited by fng985

We knew that.......... the part about 'strange'. Starter solenoids are very simple switches. If I need to replace mine, I'll go with the new $10 generic ones sold for motorcycles, the one with the 30amp main fuse alongside. Often seen under 'Honda' parts on e-bay.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

We knew that.......... the part about 'strange'. Starter solenoids are very simple switches. If I need to replace mine, I'll go with the new $10 generic ones sold for motorcycles, the one with the 30amp main fuse alongside. Often seen under 'Honda' parts on e-bay.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Well crap wish knew that before I put the ford one on...ugh... Anyways its on now all tucked away. Um no pictures I get made fun of as it is now.

I too heard about the Ford solenoid, and have one waiting in the wings for winter repairs/updates along with a new fuse panel. I never heard about the alternate "Honda" ones, just looked on ebay, and WOW. Guess I'll be ordering one of those instead. This place is AWESOME with help like that!

-Andrew