IGNORED

shifting issues (dont shift into 4th or 5th)

(i posted this in the welcome section to and said be better to put here) Hello all I'm new to forum and new to Yamaha ventures. I got a 1983 Venture (momma said couldn't buy anything else so traded for couple guns) anyway its not the prettiest (work on that later) but runs good and only needed a battery or I thought so until I went on her madden voyage and found out didn't have 4 or 5 gear ugh! Well after searching on here seems like simple fix and help from Yamamike I have a couple links. But does anybody know what the part number is for the shift pin/basket/whatever is called (changes the bent over flap type to hold the pins in to the cast version)that upgrades from 1st generation to the vmax version or 2nd generation Venture (whichever is better). Thanks for any help. O iI did find the thread on changing it and the 2nd gear issue but just cantcan't find the part numbers.

Just go to a parts site and look up a newer V-Max (like a 2000) and you will find the part number. For example, Cheap Cycle Parts dot com:

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/oem-parts/yamaha/2000/vmx12m-v-max/shift-cam-fork

The numbers I got off there was:

Item #6: 4NK-18185-00-00 for the segment (what they call the shifter cam)

Item #7: 93604-12037-00 for 5 of the dowel pins

Item #13: 93604-16092-00 for the 6th dowel pin

Double check to make sure I didn't typo. You need new pins as the ones you have for the shifter cam that has the bent metal retainer are longer than the one required for the new cam. I was cheap and just used a cut-off wheel on my dremel to make them shorter. Might need a new screw, depending on how much you bugger up the head when you try removing it. That's 90151-06013-00, item #8

Good luck with it, from a fellow '83 rider.

-Andrew

I ordered parts from partzilla and should be here by early next week. I paid 53$ for the segment all 6 dowel pins and a new screw. Thought about it afterward but probably going to need some type of gasket ugh thats my luck. I will order that next I reckon. This forum rocks for info and people.

• 2 weeks later...

All is good in the shifting world now thanks to my fellow ventures :bighug:. It was a lot easier repair then I thought except the part where I put couple parts backward and left some out. It only took 5 Times to get it right and now I'm cruising . PS no matter how many times you tell a 8 year old see that part right there the black one no the other black one they still don't understand.:rotf:

I ordered parts from partzilla and should be here by early next week. I paid 53$ for the segment all 6 dowel pins and a new screw. Thought about it afterward but probably going to need some type of gasket ugh thats my luck. I will order that next I reckon. This forum rocks for info and people.

And just think, I paid $49 bucks for a complete 03 RSV trans that also had the shift cam with the upgraded end that is made as one piece and does not have the pins to worry about. :whistling:

This is what the new one looks like.

RandyA

attachment.php?attachmentid=35647&d=1252426117

Edited by Venturous Randy

And just think, I paid $49 bucks for a complete 03 RSV trans that also had the shift cam with the upgraded end that is made as one piece and does not have the pins to worry about. :whistling:

This is what the new one looks like.

RandyA

attachment.php?attachmentid=35647&d=1252426117

Quit rubbing it in!! I Forgot!!:rotfl::rotfl: I glad you got it. I didn't remember it til next morning!