IGNORED

1983 tail lights

Hi to all: I am new to this forum and am so glad I found it I will need lots of help I am guessing. I just bought a 1983 venture royal with 47,000 miles on it from a DOT officer. The Bike looks Great and Runs well, but I do need a tune up, and carbs adjusted. I took it for a ride on thursday and I have no tail lights, there is a LED bar under the trunk and it also does not light. I was thinking of the fuse or a connection, but I can't find the fuse boxes. Any help would be greatly appreciated, including any info I should know in general! Thanks in Advance!

Ride Safe,

Hawk :confused24:

Fuses are under the false gas tank cover.

All you need to do is undo the bolt/screw just behind the gas filler spout and slide the cover ahead about 1 " and it will lift off.

I think the same fuse is for the headlights and the tail lights so if your headlight is working...I would look for a connection/ground problem.

If you have the original glass fuses they are known to have issues with age. Most folks change out the fuse box with one like Skydoc17 (a member here) offers.

Hey Hawk, welcome to the forum and we hope you join. It will be the best $12 you will ever spend on your bike.

Before doing any carb adjustments, put about a half can of Sea Foam in your gas and let it run for a while then set over night and then ride it like you stole it. If you don't know, these bikes like to be run. It won't hurt it to hit the red line on the tach.

RandyA

Not sure if mine is still wired up stock, but this fuse on mine was loose and caused the tail/driving lights to be out. They had a short fuse in it that barely made contact with both sides, I replaced with a longer one. And yes, I have plans for a new fuse box, it's on my To-Do list.

-Andrew