IGNORED

Replacing 2005 RSTD shocks - suggestions?

Lone Eagle

My bike has 90K + miles on it, the current (stock) shocks (though they have been replaced once with stock shocks) don't hold air and haven't for quite some time, and I'm thinking of replacing them.

Between the wife and I, we're about 400 lbs with the riding gear on, plus I've got the tour pak on my bike, and usual stuff in the saddlebags. I've seen various opinions (all great ones) on the site here, and the TD and Venture might take the same type of set up?:confused07:

Thinking of getting a new bike next year, so I don't want to pour a ton of money into this, but would like us to be comfortable again riding the bike, versus every single bump in the road. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!:fnd_(16):

We you have the Works shock for about 700 or the Hagon shock for a little less. Have you tried looking on Ebay for a late model used one?

I have the Hagon with Heavy Duty Spring on the rear. It is ( or was when I got mine) 469.00 shipped, 2 year warranty. If you're not keeping the bike looking for a used one might be better. You can have my old rtsd rear shock if you like. It started leaking a bit of oil, but it still holds air just fine. Would be better than one that doesn't hold air. 2006 removed at 23k miles. Remove the shrader and add some fork oil down the air tube. May just get you by till you get the new bike.

If the front forks are not holding air anymore you need the forks serviced and seals replaced.

I have a 2005 TD and replaced the factory shock with a Works shock and have about 25K miles on it now. Could not be happier in the ride. Took a little adjustment time to get things set up just right. I know that the works shock is a little costly compared to the stock shock, but for me it was worth it.

Thanks, guys. I have looked at the Hagon today - may give them a call on Monday. At my dealer today, he was talking about a Progessive shock (not sure if there is a specific brand?) for around $500.00. I'm OK with that (I guess - :mo money:) . Sounds like great info on the front forks! Thanks for the offer on the 06 shock - I'm one of those guys who prefers new if possible.

No problem I offered my used rear shock since you said you were possibly trading it in soon. I didn't notice a problem withthe handling, was doing some other maintenance, noticed it was dirty and saw some oil inside the boot and decided to replace it. Never leaked a puddle on the ground. Figured Free was better than 500 if you aren't keeping the bike.

Not aware that Progressive (Progressive Suspension, its a brand name)makes a rear mono shock for the rstd. Dealer may be mistaken. I know progressive makes alot of replacement rear shocks for twin rear shock applications but those don't fit the RSTD/RSV since it only has one. In rear shocks for the RSTD/RSV as far as I know the choices are Works, Hagon, YSS, and the Stock Yamaha shock. If you are thinking Hagon, Hagon LLC in California is who I dealt with. Very nice, shipped out Monday from CA and arrive that friday in Fort Myers, Fl.

Progressive does make replacement springs to go inside the front forks and I could see a dealer charging you 500 for new fork springs and to rebuild the front forks with new seals, fork oil, etc. If you are rebuilding the front forks consider Sonic straight rate springs. Freebird has these and Rick Butler recommends them as well. Actually with the Sonic springs you will find that you won't need to add air to the front forks any more since they can support the weight of the motorcycle. Stock front springs are kind of soft.

RSTDdog

If you call Hagon LLC in California ASAP, you might have it by the end of next week. I called others and was told 8 weeks for delivery. I called Christina at Hagon in Cali and they had the shock with heavy duty spring in stock. Supposedly it shipped yesterday after I ordered it and I will have it here in Virginia by next Friday. $469 shipped.