IGNORED

Stupid Brake Bleeding??

Just installed the R1 brakes on my 05' rsv. I am having trouble getting the brakes bled. Do I have to bleed the rear one too? I thought they were separate.

Also when I typed the title some brake bleeding threads came up and one of them mentioned some of the later model bikes having another bleed valve around the triple tree?

I bought the speed bleeders, but didn't think about the fact that I was gonna run the r1 brakes. Seems the bleeder valves on the rsv's and the r1's are different, so I'm gonna have to go order the correct set. Until then I'm bleeding the old fashioned way.

make sure it's full, put a tight clear hose on the bleeder valve into a jar with some break fluid pump the breaks and hold, have someone crack open the valve until you bottom out.( do not let off) tighten while holding and repeat.

A lot of people swear by vacuum pumps.

The speed bleeders for the R1 calipers are the same as those for the MKI and MKII first gens. If the 8125S are what you have then you already have the right ones. In the bleed dept. The fronts are not connected to the rear. After installing the speeds take two clear hoses and attach them to the bleeders, Put the other ends in a catch bucket of your choice and pump away all bubbles are gone... You probably compressed the pistons before mounting the caliper. Don't close the bleed valve and try to pump them up before bleeding. Leave them compressed. Once the air is out of the lines, shut the valve and pump them up til hard. You should be good to go, and the whole process shouldn't take more than 5 minutes.

thanks.....evidently letting the fluid settle overnight helped, I went out there this morning and pumped the brake level rapidly and it began to grab. I went ahead and bled each side a few more times just to make sure, but seems to be working great now.

Anyone know where to find some chrome caps to cover up the gold caps on the R1 brakes?

I think that would look better.

Edited by ericdg16

yeah, similar to that.....was hoping they would have a better attachment method than that. I expanded that search on ebay and found some that used an o-ring, but I still may wait and see if I can find something better.