I am redoing my collector on my 87 venture. No problems removing everything although I snapped off one bolt I did not see any gaskets on any of the pipes when I removed them or even know what they would look like. Is it necessary to have gaskets to reattach everything again? I did not even see any on the pipes from the front either. Sort of a novice trying to save a few $$ Thanks :confused24:

Only gaskets on mine are on the heads,, i never changed them,, took it apart a bunch of times,.

I did tighten all pipes by pushing from bac and holding till i tightened bolts,,,,never put clamps back on

It rattles a little, ,dont leak, ,,course i have cherry bomb straight pipes, so noise never did bother me

All mine fit tight

I ride every day,,

Gary,

All of the pipes (including the mufflers) that connect to the collector have gaskets that I'd call donuts. They are between the pipes and the collector, and they are still available from Yammie.

The front pipes have copper rings between the pipe and the head, and the rear pipes have copper rings that are in the clamps that hold the pipes to the heads. You can usually take the exhaust apart and then put it back together with the old gaskets and everything will seal up just fine. Just make sure you didn't break the collector gaskets when you took the pipes out.

On the parts fische, the exhaust pipe to collector donuts are #27 and my dealer sells them for $16 ea. The muffler to collector gaskets are #41, and are $19.50 ea. As expensive as they are, I'm sure glad that I can usually re-use them. If you buy the bolt you broke from a Yammie dealer, it'll have a 12mm head. If you go somewhere else, it'll probably have a 13mm head, and you'll have to carry another wrench or socket in you tool kit.

http://www.richsyamaha.com/pages/OemParts#/Yamaha/XVZ13T_-_1987/EXHAUST/XVZ13T_%281987_MOTORCYCLE%29/EXHAUST_%28XVZ13T_-_1987%29

I just did this same repair over the weekend and I bought all new gaskets for collector and mufflers. I didn't need any of them as mine where all brass and looked good. Let me know if you need these gaskets I would be willing to sell much cheaper than I paid new at dealer.

Thanks Bob--just got mine all back together---had all the gaskets--was worried about one of the clamps--the bolt got broke off and I couldn't get it out--can't get new clamps either--but--luckily my local dealer who has been very good to me was able to remove it at no cost. Just took it for a short ride and all seemed good again--so hopefully things work out. Thanks for the offer though and everyone who helped me with it. Make me proud to be a member here when people jump in and offer assistance. :bighug: