IGNORED

Alarm Wiring HELP needed!

I'm not trying to be a smart-a** or anything, but why would you need to alarm a bike that old. Isn't full coverage insurance enough?

Not only do I have full coverage but I have $5,000 agreed value as a replacement cost. Yes that should be enough but I'm more concerned about the guy who screws with it when I have it parked in a motel parking lot (even though it will be under a cover) or it get backed into by an oblivious motel guest.

Normally, I don't concern myself with this, because of the weight of this bike I doubt anyone is going to walk away with it. Locally I can get home.

It takes very little to ruin a vacation. I would sleep better knowing that I will get immediately notified on the keyfob if an issue arises rather than "discovering" it the next morning.

I'm just one of those people that like to be proactive.

Not only do I have full coverage but I have $5,000 agreed value as a replacement cost. Yes that should be enough but I'm more concerned about the guy who screws with it when I have it parked in a motel parking lot (even though it will be under a cover) or it get backed into by an oblivious motel guest.

Normally, I don't concern myself with this, because of the weight of this bike I doubt anyone is going to walk away with it. Locally I can get home.

It takes very little to ruin a vacation. I would sleep better knowing that I will get immediately notified on the keyfob if an issue arises rather than "discovering" it the next morning.

I like your way of thinking !!!! wish I could help with wiring. .sorry !!:mytruck:

Same applies to when I was driving OTR. Wasn't worried about the tractor and trailer walking away but three times I had my gear jacked from the cab while I was away from it. I wish they had the techology back then to give me a heads up when someone was screwing around.

Only got the chance to meet one of the fools and he was upset when he slipped coming out of the cab. Cops had to figure out the difference in the terms of "slipping" and "thrown". They went with my version. He slipped.

Yeah, proactive is a good way to go.

I thought about how & what to wire up & decided on the following:

1. Forget about auto start. (why would I want to leave a running bike unattended) & with a choke that is needed I doubt it would work well

2. Forget the engine diable. What if the arm button is accidently hit while riding? (the last thing I would want is something to go wrong & my engine dies at highway speed)

So I am left with a 2 way alarm that I have to arm myself, with a shock sensor, & a movement sensor that flashes lights, has a siren & will notify me via the pager remote.

I'll make a write up & maybe a video of the install. I'll call it Budget bike alarm ($45) :)

Wish me luck!

Ok so I didn't do an installation video because this thing is rediculously easy to install.

As I said above, I DID NOT install the engine kill switch & the Autostart for safety reasons. It's just a basic alarm that will transmit a signal to the key forb as well as screech VERY LOUD!

I attached the diagram

The Red goes to directly to the battery

Black goes to a good ground

The yellow goes to the right directional (dark green wire)

The Yellow/ green goes t left directional (chocolate wire)

On the directionals I attached it to the front turn signals & ran the wires to the unit. All 4 signals flash.

I disabled the auto set because it is not connected to my ignition so I have to manually set it. If you don't disable it installed this way it will arm after 30 second regardlesss if you are riding or parked. (2 buttons on the key fob disables it)

So for undr $50 I have an alarm that will ring out, flash light, & alert me on my key fob. The range that I tested was 1/2 block. ( I didn't go any further as that serves my purpose)

Its a shark motorcycle audio alarm, but basically all chinese 2 way alarms install the same way

Guest tx2sturgis
Cops had to figure out the difference in the terms of "slipping" and "thrown". They went with my version. He slipped.

I love this. I bet it felt good to 'watch' the guy 'slip'...

I hope he slipped hard and several times.

:happy34:

Guest tx2sturgis

So for undr $50 I have an alarm that will ring out, flash light, & alert me on my key fob. The range that I tested was 1/2 block. ( I didn't go any further as that serves my purpose)

Where did you mount the 'black box' alarm unit?

"Only got the chance to meet one of the fools and he was upset when he slipped coming out of the cab. Cops had to figure out the difference in the terms of "slipping" and "thrown". They went with my version. He slipped."

Clumsy people should not turn to a life of crime. Slipping can be painful. :rotf: Which is pretty much why I would consider an alarm on my insured bike. So I can get a chance to see them slip and fall. :innocent-emoticon:

And at $45 I am looking for an alarm in a matter of moments.

Guest tx2sturgis

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or number of triggering events other than to access the unit itself?

At the level you have set, a noisy Harley rumbling by will set it off, or gusty winds and slamming car doors might even do it.

I used to take riders on our Harleys rumbling thru parking garages and setting off car-alarms like crazy! Fun stuff! (messin with doctors and lawyers you know)

:stirthepot:

Is there a way to adjust the sensitivity or number of triggering events other than to access the unit itself?

At the level you have set, a noisy Harley rumbling by will set it off, or gusty winds and slamming car doors might even do it.

I used to take riders on our Harleys rumbling thru parking garages and setting off car-alarms like crazy! Fun stuff! (messin with doctors and lawyers you know)

:stirthepot:

Yes there are 3 sensitivity settings (I currently have it on the default high). They are set by pushing a combo of buttons on the key fob. It will take a little trial & error to get it right. I'll use my '81 Honda CB750 bobber as the "tester", to see where the sensitivity tolorances are & where I need to set them.

Guest tx2sturgis
Yes there are 3 sensitivity settings (I currently have it on the default high).

This is good news!

Yes, you want it SOMEWHERE between 'butterfly lands on fender' setting and 'logging truck runs over it' setting.

Let us know how it works out.

:happy34:

And BTW...just in case you have to store the bike for a few months during winter or whatever, be sure to disconnect the alarm or use a battery tender to keep the battery in good shape...these things draw a bit of juice all the time.

Edited by tx2sturgis

...these things draw a bit of juice all the time.

Seriously?

Crap..I was under the impression that if I didn't arm it that it would stay dormant. That is another reason I had no problem disabling the auto arm. I figure I didn't need her armed in my garage.

I should have done an amp draw test before I closed her up.

I usually ride both my bikes daily all year round just to avoid carb funk so I shouldn't have a battery issue, but you never know.

• 1 month later...

FOOTNOTE:

For anyone who buys this for their bike, when the keyfob transceiver's AAA battery is low the fob will beep 3 times (faintly) every 8 minutes to let you know of the low battery status.

IT DROVE ME NUTS! It's so faint it sounds like a watch.

With all the electronics in my house it took me 2 hours to FINALLY find it. I wish the keyfob would beep as loud as when you set the alarm. :bang head:

Just a heads up to preserve someone else's SANITY