IGNORED

California VR Emission model

Can anybody tell me how to identify a California emission model Venture from a non-emission one? I imagine it has some extra evaporative canisters and plumbing on it. Are the emission goodies visible without pulling plastic? Any help would be appreciated.

The only real way that Ca. DMV will accept it as a Ca. EPA bike is the sticker. This is located under the seat on most bikes Or the frame near the motor, There is a big Vac, box sitting over the front head. There is a canister near the fuel tank. These would bew the easy to look for.

Kurt

I currently have 4 1stGens. One from out of state..TX, one originally from N.Mex, and 2 from here in CA '83/'87. None of them are canistered and the DMV never checked when I registered them here in the state. MOF I had to take the TX bike down to the DMV to have it inspected, and since the inspector couldn't find the EPA lable, he just said the heck with it and ran the papers as is. I think since bikes are exempt from the bi-yearly smog check requirement it really doesn't make any difference and the DMV looks in another direction.....

I currently have 4 1stGens. One from out of state..TX, one originally from N.Mex, and 2 from here in CA '83/'87. None of them are canistered and the DMV never checked when I registered them here in the state. MOF I had to take the TX bike down to the DMV to have it inspected, and since the inspector couldn't find the EPA lable, he just said the heck with it and ran the papers as is. I think since bikes are exempt from the bi-yearly smog check requirement it really doesn't make any difference and the DMV looks in another direction.....

I found this to be true also.

If they do anuthing with this old of bikes they just check the motor ID and the VIN.

Kurt

Thanks for the replies!

Not really worried about emissions as far as inspections, we don't sniff tailpipes on bikes or autos in Oklahoma. Heck, don't have state inspections either, still the wild west here.

Was really wondering if you can tell if its a Callyfornia bike by eyeballing it. The title should have a "C" at the end of the model number on the title like cmiles3 stated, I'll look for that.

Can the emissions be easily removed if it has it?

I bought my bike out of state and brought it here. I had a 26 year old female DMV inspector look and look for the "EPA" sticker... said I was going to have to put the "emissions" equipment BACK ON. I even had the owners manual that shows all the proper stickers. She wasn't going to go for it so I asked for her supervisor.

Another female came out... a bit older but not a lot... looked at the paperwork, looked at the manufacture date (86), checked the chassis and engine VIN and passed me through.

I understand that the California "version" was required to sell NEW in the state of LaLaLand. Basically just a vapor canister for fuel vapor! Sounds like a rather poor joke at best.

Was really wondering if you can tell if its a Callyfornia bike by eyeballing it. The title should have a "C" at the end of the model number on the title like cmiles3 stated, I'll look for that.

Can the emissions be easily removed if it has it?

I can't tell the difference, but I did actually see a canister in the wild once. Removing it was probably the first thing a new owner did.... :) It's just a matter of pulling the hoses off the manafold bibs and putting caps on them except for #2 which has a hose that leads to the vacuum booster on all models except the '83.

Can anybody tell me how to identify a California emission model Venture from a non-emission one? I imagine it has some extra evaporative canisters and plumbing on it. Are the emission goodies visible without pulling plastic? Any help would be appreciated.

Here's the link... it shouldn't be too hard to spot!!

http://www.chooseyouritem.com/jokes/wfhm.html

The only thing missing are the afterburners!

My 89 still has the canister, haven't felt the need to remove it yet.

All the canister does is suck gas fumes into it when the engine is turned off and allows the engine to pull those fumes back in when started. My feelings are that the canister doesn't make an engine run better or worse...when new, but over the years all those old extra hoses and connections create a potential place for intake air leaks to occur. The canisters are ancient carb technology. I'd remove it if the bike has one. IMHO....