IGNORED

Gen 2 brakes on mk2?

Will it work? :confused24: I may be able to get a set really cheap, but have to make an hour drive to get them. Don't really want to waste the gas. My stock calipers on the '86 need new seals, and besides the cost, one of the sets is out of stock until June/July with Yamaha. And they are not avail aftermarket either. I know R1/R6 will work, but I had to send back the set I bought, since they were worthless. They had a seal pulled out of the caliper body.

Hoping I can get away cheap on this project, since cheap fits my budget :hurts:

Yes, and no! Can they be bolted up, yes. Will they line up with the rotors, no! Can 2nd gen rotors be bolted up to a MK2? Yes but check with member Dingy for all the details as I believe he has researched all of this...

PS, unless you are like the guy in the Geico commercial, to properly rebuild MK2 calipers you are looking at some major bucks and labor. Stick with the R1/R6 calipers, much cheaper and easier to rebuild!

Yes, and no! Can they be bolted up, yes. Will they line up with the rotors, no! Can 2nd gen rotors be bolted up to a MK2? Yes but check with member Dingy for all the details as I believe he has researched all of this...

PS, unless you are like the guy in the Geico commercial, to properly rebuild MK2 calipers you are looking at some major bucks and labor. Stick with the R1/R6 calipers, much cheaper and easier to rebuild!

Gen 2 (RSV) rotors will not work on rear wheel of 1st Gen (MKI or MKII).

I have not tried Gen 2 rotors from the front on a 1st gen. Calipers from a 2nd gen will bolt up to 1st gen, but I am not sure about rotor thickness pocket clearance.

Gary