IGNORED

AirHawk pillion size

You'll want the large...

I bought a large for the 650 Vstar and it fits the RSV just fine.

It was an Airhawk. wouldn't leave home without it...LOL

now they have an airhawk 2 and an airhawk R?

Which model are you going to get?

Don't know. Normally this is something that I'd buy off of Amazon but my problem with Amazon is that it can be kind of difficult finding a specific item. For example a search of "airhawk pillion large" brings up a bunch of results, but none of them seem so specify what "version" it is.

For example:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Pillion-Cushion-Large-CRUISERPILLIONL/dp/B000M6S0JK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1360868978&sr=8-3&keywords=airhawk+pillion+large]Airhawk Pillion Seat Cushion Large L CRUISERPILLIONL : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/519YVUQJ7OL.@@AMEPARAM@@519YVUQJ7OL[/ame]

And since I'm buying one for her I might as well buy one for me:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Airhawk-Comfort-Cushion-Cruiser-CRUISERLARGE/dp/B0045SBV6A/ref=pd_luc_bxgy_01_02_t_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1]Airhawk Comfort Seat Cushion for Large Cruiser CRUISERLARGE : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/21FFnbXYKAL.@@AMEPARAM@@21FFnbXYKAL[/ame]

Notice that in either of them it just says "Airhawk Seat Cushion" and doesn't specify if it's the original, the 2, or the R. For me I'd really like the "R" because of the "no contact" with the tailbone area. I bruised my tailbone several years ago and it occasionally still gives me issues. I figure if the R offers "no contact" it might be worth it to find it.

I'm not sure they are the "source" as I think this is the source: http://www.airhawk.net/ Course, I could be wrong.

Plus Amazon is $50 cheaper. That's a couple tanks of gas.

Edited by irbk
forgot to mention Amazon is cheaper

Submitted a question to the provider through Amazon, they are all the "original" though looking through the link you sent, the pillion in a Large size doesn't come in a "AirHawk 2" just the "original" and the "R" is a one size fit's all.

So it looks like the answer to your question is probably the "original" for the pillion and the "R" for the driver.

Kirby,

I have the Airhawk Pillion original from my Road Star. I think it is the large pillion for rear seat. Looks like the picture you posted of the rectangular one. It is probably 5 years old but in very good shape, and only used a couple of times. Kept in a closet in the house.

Could let you have it for $70 delivered.

If you are interested, let me know. I can send you pictures.

Mike G in SC

(Mike Griswold Lugoff, SC cell 803--420--3388

Kirby,

I have the Airhawk Pillion original from my Road Star. I think it is the large pillion for rear seat. Looks like the picture you posted of the rectangular one. It is probably 5 years old but in very good shape, and only used a couple of times. Kept in a closet in the house.

Could let you have it for $70 delivered.

If you are interested, let me know. I can send you pictures.

Mike G in SC

(Mike Griswold Lugoff, SC cell 803--420--3388

Mike, sent you a PM. Let me know if your interested.

Kirby, sent a PM back. Found out my Airhawk pillion is smaller. See PM.

On my RSTD I have the Ultimate seats. I'm pretty happy with them.

Mike G.

Not that I want to invest in new seats, but what are "Ultimate" seats?

Try this I haven't done it yet but I plan to as soon as the stock seat starts giving me problems. $70 bucks plus shipping for both seats.

http://www.venturerider.org/classifieds/showproduct.php?product=3738&title=butt-butler-seat-mod&cat=25

If link doesn't work go to classifieds and member vendors & Rick Butler

Hugh, $70 and it's not going to raise the height of the seat (or perhaps very minimally) like any other kind of cushion would..... Decisions decisions. I suppose I could do it and if it's still not comfortable enough for me I could then get the airhawk. After all it's only money, might as well spend it like my wife does.

2nd Rick's Butler mood! It will make the operators seat way more comfortable. As far as the rear pillion is concerned, I have the medium and its a tad big. The wife just tucks alittle bit of it under the backrest and is comfortable. I tried it on the operators seat and didn't like it. It bunches up under you due to the contour of the seat. To me, they work very well on a flat surface like the rear pulling.

2nd Rick's Butler mood! It will make the operators seat way more comfortable. As far as the rear pillion is concerned, I have the medium and its a tad big. The wife just tucks alittle bit of it under the backrest and is comfortable. I tried it on the operators seat and didn't like it. It bunches up under you due to the contour of the seat. To me, they work very well on a flat surface like the rear pulling.

You have the "medium" airhawk? Pillion or driver seat? I measured my pillion last night. It's 11.5 x 14.5. The large AirHawk pillion is 11x14 so it sounds like the large would be the perfect fit. As for it not working on the drivers seat, I'd sort of guess it's because it's the pillion was made to be used on a pillion not the drivers seat? Donno. I spoke with the wife last night and she felt that we might as well try Rick for $70 before investing in AirHawks that cost ~$130 each.

i just got my seats back from Rick Butler a couple weeks ago and even though i have been unable to ride i did sit on them and could immediately tell the improvement shipping from WI to TX was cheaper than i expected for such a big box

I'm in SE WI myself. Would you mind letting me know what you ended up paying in shipping?

You have the "medium" airhawk? Pillion or driver seat? I measured my pillion last night. It's 11.5 x 14.5. The large AirHawk pillion is 11x14 so it sounds like the large would be the perfect fit. As for it not working on the drivers seat, I'd sort of guess it's because it's the pillion was made to be used on a pillion not the drivers seat? Donno. I spoke with the wife last night and she felt that we might as well try Rick for $70 before investing in AirHawks that cost ~$130 each.

The one I have is 14 x 14.5 and my pillon seat is 14" wide like yours. I know they came out with some different designs in the last couple of years and I have one of the first designs. Here's some pics of mine and how it covers the seats. If your wife is like mine and doesn't like the hard seat she'll like the airhawk. Especially with the adjustability of it. When Rick reworked our seats she couldn't tell much difference on the pillon like I could on the operators seat. In the pics, I now have a Roadking, but similar in size to the RSTD to give you an idea.

[ATTACH]74004[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74005[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]74006[/ATTACH]

The one I have is 14 x 14.5 and my pillon seat is 14" wide like yours. I know they came out with some different designs in the last couple of years and I have one of the first designs. Here's some pics of mine and how it covers the seats. If your wife is like mine and doesn't like the hard seat she'll like the airhawk. Especially with the adjustability of it. When Rick reworked our seats she couldn't tell much difference on the pillon like I could on the operators seat. In the pics, I now have a Roadking, but similar in size to the RSTD to give you an idea.

Yeah, the new pillion airhawks are pretty much just a rectangle 14" long and 11" wide which should fit my pillion perfectly. It's a bummer that she couldn't tell much difference on the pillion but the price still seems very reasonable.

The first thing I was going to do today is ship my motorcycle seat to have Rick re-work it. I didn't have a box for it so I took it to UPS and I was just going to have them ship and box it. They wanted $130! I said heck no and went over to Home Depot (via Rick's suggested on his ad) and bought a box that was 18.5" wide x 18.25" deep x 16" tall. The ad had me pre-warned that these boxes need to be cut down to under 15" tall or you get nailed with a surcharge. So I measured all 4 corners to 14" (thus measuring the box 4 times) and sliced down the corners so the box was 14" tall. Then I packed in the seat and measured again, 14" tall. So there were no more surprises I pop onto UPS's website plug in the box size (have to go 19x19x14 because they don't do 1/2 sizes) and the website tells me ~$22. I head out to UPS again and this time I'm told $37. I ask, ok, I plugged this in at home and it was only $22 why is it $37 here? She asks what size I put in the website and I tell her 19x19x14 and she says well that's why it's 19x19x15. I say I measured it myself and it's only 14. She measures it in front of me and sure enough on her measuring tape it's 14 1/2 so it goes in as 15. Now, I mind you I've measured this dimension of this box at LEAST 5 times. I say screw it I'm going to USPS. I go to the post office (and for the number of people there you would SWEAR it was either tax day or christmas) and after waiting in like for like 30 minutes the post office measures the box. I ask him how tall it was and he said 14". I summarize the story quickly for him and he measures it again and says, nope 14".

So I measured it at least 5 times and got 14" and the post office measured it twice and got 14", yet UPS measured it and got 14.5". There is but one assumption I can come too, UPS's tape measure is friggin rigged and when the difference between 14" and 15" is like $15 I can see why they would rig it. Moral of the story, DON'T TRUST UPS TO MEASURE THE CORRECT SIZE OF YOUR BOX!