IGNORED

how to remove float valve assemby?

im overhauling my bike and the carbs right now and im trying to get the float valve assembly out, and the parts diagrams are showing me that it should just pop out the top of the carb from under a plug but it all seems stuck. any tricks to getting it out?

The top of the carb has a brass plug that is press fit in. Probably have to drill small hole in cap, thread a sheet metal screw in and pull it. Similar to what is done on front face of carb to expose the needle valve.

Very few people will do this. The seat should not go bad. What is important is that the mesh screen between the top of the seat & cap is clear. This can be checked when disassembled by reverse flushing aerosol carb cleaner through valve seat and blowing air through it.

To get the valve portion of the float valve out, the rear plate has to be taken off. This to me, requires the carbs off the bike & rack split in at least two.

If you need to get into carbs, at a minimum you should get 4 basic rebuild kits. These include the jet block gasket,a n enricher body gasket, new fuel float needle, and the 5 orings & back plate gasket.

I found new ones on ebay from K&L for right at $80 shipped. Get K&L part number 18-2879. There are other similar part numbers, but this is best one with most gaskets in it. It may be listed as a VMax kit, but everything that is in this kit will fit any 1st gen Venture.

Also 3 other things in there that should be replased. The idle jet, and the two rubber caps. 22V-14968-00-00, 22U-14968-00-00, and 4G0-14142-37-A, 4 each.

The idle jet is #37.5 very tiny & it will drive you nuts if clogged. The two rubber caps each carb have been a cause of many problems that I am aware of on VMax's, and most likely Ventures.

Gary

• 10 years later...

After removing the float valve which easily pops out you have to remove the float valve seat. One easy way, I found, without destroying the float valve holder is to put a small dry wall anchor, which goes in easily but snug.. After that you add a screw. The plastic anchor expands against the wall of the float valve holder and you can easily pull it out.