IGNORED

A look back on 2012

SilvrT

While there were many good things during 2012, it was probably one of the toughest, most stressful, costly years of my life (unfortunately).

In Feb I received a notice from Family Maintenance Enforcement stating that I owed almost 50 grand in spousal support arrears to my ex wife and that I had to commence paying her 500/mo PLUS the arrears. That started a court action to cancel the arrears and support which took until end of July and 5 grand in lawyers fees even though I did most of the "grunt work" myself. The end result was in my favor although I still had to fork out 6 grand to her.

In January, my wife's mom's health started going downhill and by late March she passed away. The stresses and expenses around that, coupled with the court battle weighed heavilly on both my wife and myself. I was able to keep it together but my wife had to take stress leave from work. Thankfully she is ok now and back to work and we've just recently recovered financially and things are back on track; however, it certainly took a large chunk out of our retirement savings.

As for the good things of 2012....

I learned that life can present many unexpected challenges and the best way to overcome them is to be strong and stand for what you believe in and to take care of yourself and not let anyone take advantage of you.

My wife and I have a much stronger and closer relationship than ever before as a result of the challenges we faced during 2012.

I learned to not take anything for granted ever again and to protect yourself from those who can hurt you the most.

As for m/c related stuff, it was a good year. We hosted an annual rally, did several "local" rides ... some just the two of us, some with others, and finally joined a local club consisting of a variety of individuals and bikes (something I swore I'd never do again).

To say the least, 2012 has been an "interesting" year and we look forward to 2013 and are hopefully prepared for whatever challenges it may bring.

Considering what some of you have gone through in 2012, I should feel happy I wasn't in your shoes as some of you have faced much more difficulties than we have.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL and I hope for a great 2013 for everyone!

Edited by SilvrT

Thanks for sharing Rick. 21012 was the toughest one yet for me. Lost both of my parents 60 days apart. Endured a summer long property cleanup and estate auction in 100 degree heat. Finally got some saddle time starting in late July. Enjoyed Sturgis and got to meet a few more VR members in person. I am considering stopping my side business in 2013, enjoying life and spending more time with my 7 year old Grandson. Hoping to ride more this coming season and hoping to make a few VR events. :)