IGNORED

Traction Control Brakes.

Guest kober

Been reading about a gizmo that sounds a bit too good to be true. Has anyone here tried that TCB (Traction Control Brake) that attaches to you Banjo bolt? Sounds like it might work but I'd like to hear from someone who actually has one installed.

Guest KitCarson
Been reading about a gizmo that sounds a bit too good to be true. Has anyone here tried that TCB (Traction Control Brake) that attaches to you Banjo bolt? Sounds like it might work but I'd like to hear from someone who actually has one installed.
The TCB is basically just a small shock absorber. When the rear master cylinder or the front one is actuated, the little piston in it expands and allows some of the fluid to push the piston. This is such a small expansion....I found it really did not accomplish the goals stated by the product. Not on the Venture, it might be a great thing for a dirt bike or smaller bike......but there is too much fluid in the brake system in a Venture.......I played and played with the brakes on this bike, from the TCB, to rigging up temp hoses and linking the brakes and trying to use the existing master cylinder, which by the way did not work well.

TCB is totally worthless on the rear, it is overpowered so quickly, I tried it and tried it, simply does not work. On the front it does smooth the braking, give you an more even feel.....but again, it is up to you to practice with it and learn to use it.......so bottom line is if you install one and just expect it to work......like magic....it won't. What I did not say before when I was doing all this.....is as soon as you switch to metal braided brake lines and loose the expansion from those.factory supplied lines...in other words upgrade your brake lines.....at this point the TCB as far as I could ever tell........did nothing......but sit up there and look pretty!!(actually it is not even chrome, I just like to act up sometimes!!)

The only thing I found that helped was a proportioning valve set up that Mr. Butler came up with.....this does help........you can set it to the point you have no brake to the comfort level you like......but again that is something you have to go out and practice with and learn to use.....to be aware of exactly when the rear will still lock up......but in my opinion, Ricks mod is a wonderful invention for the Venture, it will give you that extra second you need to think......if you are ever unfortunate enough to need a tool like this. Kit

Ok, first, I'm a complete novice to bikes and biking. My RSTD is my first bike, ever. I now have about 28,000 miles under my belt. Laid the thing down on it's side 3 times in the first 24 hours. I finally quit using the front brake in the parking lot, installed the Barons lowering kit and developed some muscle memory telling me how far I can safely lean this monster before that 875 pound bike overwhelms my 175 pound a$$ and things are just ducky in that respect now.

I took the Basic MSF Course and I'm signing up for the Intermediate MSF Course as soon as I can get in.

I've read just about every post here in regards to brakes and braking. Lots of knowledge in here. Thanks for that.

I'm a bit scared of the proportioning setup. Seems like too drastic a mod from the stock design. It still may be something I'll do later.

Right now I'm really interested in the TCB for the front brakes. I've had a couple of panic stops and locked up the rear. Both times I was able to keep the rear end from coming around by letting off the rear brake as I felt things sliding back there. What I'm deathly afraid of is locking the front brake and tucking the wheel under. I think this fear causes me to leave some braking power on the table needlessly.

A couple of questions: Whenever I apply the front brake hard I hear an additional whine as if there were something "spinning up". I hear this only during hard and long front brake use. Never hear it day to day. What is that?

Second, how easy/hard is it to lock up the front brakes?

Third, has anyone ever locked the front brake and not dumped the bike?

Thanks for your replies.

i was amazed at how easy the front brake locked on my 86 venture. i am a big guy and i was a panic situation last September, a lady made a left in front of me and it was hit the brakes hard or pile into the passenger door. i locked the brakes and yes i hit the pavement. i have ridden for over 4 decades from dirt bikes, sport bikes, cruiser bikes, and now my sport touring bike. on one of my bikes i started to learn how to do stoppies, so yes i have a fair bit of experience.

i tried to contact TCB numerous times by phone and have sent email and pm's, but i still have not been able to purchase the unit yet, so i cant help you with how they work.

i am also changing the front tire to a different manufacturer, as i feel the rubber i put on last year is too hard, as it is designed as a high wearing touring tire. the tires i used to run, i had made a big panic stop one time and that front and rear tire did not lock up, i was impressed at the stopping power.

i wish there was someway to add ABS to our bikes then they would be perfect.

Guest KitCarson
Ok, first, I'm a complete novice to bikes and biking. My RSTD is my first bike, ever. I now have about 28,000 miles under my belt. Laid the thing down on it's side 3 times in the first 24 hours. I finally quit using the front brake in the parking lot, installed the Barons lowering kit and developed some muscle memory telling me how far I can safely lean this monster before that 875 pound bike overwhelms my 175 pound a$$ and things are just ducky in that respect now.

I took the Basic MSF Course and I'm signing up for the Intermediate MSF Course as soon as I can get in.

I've read just about every post here in regards to brakes and braking. Lots of knowledge in here. Thanks for that.

I'm a bit scared of the proportioning setup. Seems like too drastic a mod from the stock design. It still may be something I'll do later.

Right now I'm really interested in the TCB for the front brakes. I've had a couple of panic stops and locked up the rear. Both times I was able to keep the rear end from coming around by letting off the rear brake as I felt things sliding back there. What I'm deathly afraid of is locking the front brake and tucking the wheel under. I think this fear causes me to leave some braking power on the table needlessly.

A couple of questions: Whenever I apply the front brake hard I hear an additional whine as if there were something "spinning up". I hear this only during hard and long front brake use. Never hear it day to day. What is that?

Second, how easy/hard is it to lock up the front brakes?

Third, has anyone ever locked the front brake and not dumped the bike?

Thanks for your replies.

HI......Your last question first....yes you can lock the front brake and not dump the bike.....with practice and as you gain knowledge. The main thing with both the front and the rear......if you do have an adrenalin attack and do lock up the brakes....quite simply do not ever let it become a slide....let off of them....then hit them again....little skips and chirps of the tires are okay......a slide is what gets you. With practice you will become comfortable with the front brake...and find you can put a lot of power into it.....before it does lock...and if and when it does.....just let off it....it will straighten instantly and you can apply the brakes again....yep hard to do when things are happening fast. You do have to think about it.....practice it.....learn it....

About MSF courses.......they are great.....but again bear in mind that no instructor wants you to get hurt, or tear up your bike....so all practice in a course like this is generally at speeds of 30 mph or so. This does teach you the basics of braking.....teaches you what and how to to it......but at higher speeds......braking is not the same as in practice......at say 60 mph or 80 mph down the interstate.....a locked up brake is bad news, not much time to react when it does start to slide......all you can do is learn to pump the brakes......not let them actually get into a slide.

Now again.......that TCB device.........I am simply going to cut to the chase on that thing......and yes this is just my opinion......but I think it is an honest and factual one........save your money......forget it.......does not work at all on the rear.......and once I had the one on the front installed.......for awhile and played with it.......did like it I thought......but basically the smooth I talked about.....is simply more sponge......once I upgraded the front brake lines to the stainless steel lines......I lost all the advantage I thought I had gained........thinking very carefully....I feel it was also as far as safety is concerned.......also no advantage. It is simply a small shock absorber....and there is more hydraulic fluid in the brake system of a big bike......the small shock absorber is simply over powered.

Ricks device works the best......of any I tried. Once installed on my bike one turn out was very soft.....really does take the fluid transfer to the rear calipers way down......yes it will eventually get there.....it just slows it down a lot.....gives you time...during that moment when your heart is in your throat. I settled myself for two turns out.........bear in mind i was using the stock rear calipers also........for a correct system.....one that works the best.....you have to change the rear calipers also.....Rick can explain that better than I can.

Hope this helps........Kit

I had a lady turn left in front of me 3 years ago. I had very little time. I had both brakes on and was sliding straight and true until I tried to go to the outside of the lane. Then I went down. I never realized I was sliding. When I went back after I got out of the hospital and looked I had been skiddingfor quite a ways. About a year later I had another van pull out in front of me. Again I applied both brakes hard and I heard a noise that did not sound like skidding but it was because I started going sideways. I got off the brakes and went into the fast lane, the van stopped and i made it through with just a bad scare. Afterwards I realized that I had heard the same sound in my accident and never recognized it for skidding. It does not sound the same as sliding in a car.

Guest KitCarson
I had a lady turn left in front of me 3 years ago. I had very little time. I had both brakes on and was sliding straight and true until I tried to go to the outside of the lane. Then I went down. I never realized I was sliding. When I went back after I got out of the hospital and looked I had been skiddingfor quite a ways. About a year later I had another van pull out in front of me. Again I applied both brakes hard and I heard a noise that did not sound like skidding but it was because I started going sideways. I got off the brakes and went into the fast lane, the van stopped and i made it through with just a bad scare. Afterwards I realized that I had heard the same sound in my accident and never recognized it for skidding. It does not sound the same as sliding in a car.

Thanks for this post.......do not mean to Hy-Jack it......just use it for some good. It has been a long time since I have had an accident on a motorcycle, but I work on safety daily. I think about it.....till it has become second nature. I read all this stuff in the motorcycle magazines written by those so called experts, and the most common thing they say is you will do what you practice!!.....Really?? Not Kit!! I used to help teach motorcycle safety courses in the military.......we practiced braking and running the cones daily.....used to do it every morning just for play. Things get repeated so much that they become fact, when really they are just ...........(I am being nice this time!!) The bottom line is when things get dicey......you are running 75 mph and you are on a four lane highway and it is rush hour traffic.....you are in the inside lane.....raised median in the middle......no escape route and the traffic just instantly stops and there is no escape route........You will panic.....you will not do what you practiced, you are scared to death.....your heart is in your throat, those cars are coming up fast........you will at first instinct hit the rear brake and hit it too hard.....and just like midnight says.....you will not even be aware you did it, or even remember exactly what you did. My old HJC white cop helmet is still on display at the State Police Headquarters in Cheasepeake Bay, Virginia.....in a glass case that shows what can happen , it has a hole in the left side.......where the bike caught up with me and landed on top of me. The final statement I want to make....is you will not do what you practice......we are all human.......under stress and during panic situations, if you are scuba diving and your air hose snaps......you have time to make a controlled ascent......on a motorcycle......it just simply happens too fast.

In a nice way......if some of you really want to know the full reason I dumped the Venture......it was the Brakes.....right after I got it......about a week I think.....was going to Charleston......on the interstate.....someone up ahead went to pull of the side of the road.....bumper to bumper traffic, and all of a sudden just a full stop.......I had time this time.....I would hit the brakes and let off of them.....hit them again. Could hear the rear one squall........bike kept trying to jackknife with me.......I worked on those brakes since that day......tried everything I could come up with.......Linked brakes would be great .....do not know why they left them off the 2nd Gen........it would sure help a lot....Now I am totally spoiled.......except my plastic has started to fall off:rotf::rotf::rotf::bighug:Kit