IGNORED

1996 Royal Star Exhaust upgrade

Hello,

I recently acquired a 1996 Royal Star Trike. The exhaust needs replaces and as I have found out, it is a rare animal and parts are difficult to find. Can anybody here point me in a direction? I have done all the searching I know how to do and keep coming up with nothing. Also, for a V4 it sure seems to lack a lot of power. Motor is running well, just seems to be missing something comparing to the inline 4 cylinder I was used to.

Thank you,

Jim

Edited by JSwaz

Jim

I can't help you with your search. I have a '96 RSTC also, but mine is the stock bike. My question is does your trike have the same pipes my bike does? The '96 RSTC has quad pipes, 2 on each side [see my avatar below]. Later models, starting in '98 if I'm not mistaken, have 4into2 pipes, making the '96's combo VERY hard to find. If your pipes don't match mine, you may have a custom set which could mean having to do the same, having a set modified to fit. Good luck with that one!

As for the power, I have no idea what triking a RSTC [especially if it's a full trike kit] could do to the power band on the bike. The change in the exhaust system could adversely[sp?] affect the bike's performance especially if it was not rejetted and synched to match. I have personal experience with that on my '03 650 Custom when we modded the air breather but at the time couldn't rejet the carbs. My vocabulary on the trip home [it was done at a MD] was slightly unprintable as I had to ride it back. Just getting it anywhere near highway speed was almost impossible.

The powerband on my '96 TC is anything but wimpy. Low level flying is this bike's middle name and so far as I know, my bike is in a fully stock configuration. I love it. I rode it 1400+ miles to get it home when I bought it, almost entirely interstate travel and it had no problem keeping up with or passing anything on the highway. I've had it right at a year and I'm still getting used to the way it will take off when I twist the throttle, especially after riding my Custom for the previous 4 years.

Good luck in your search!

Brenda,

Thank you for the reply.

Same headers, 2 into 1 on each side. The bike runs GREAT. Lots of hills here in PA so I am spending lots of time in 3rd gear and 4th. Mechanically it is stock and sweet. I do think the added weight of the trike kit, my 290 lbs and my wife do slow it down a bit. Nothing I can not get used to. Just accustomed to a little more umph.

Again, thank you and God Bless,

Jim