IGNORED

Thoughts on MRF

Capt-D

Has any one here used MRF for roadside assistance and what is your thoughts on them. I am looking at putting a lot of miles on my bike this year and it would be nice to know that there is somebody you can call when you are far from home in case you run into a problem.

Don't know what MRF is.

RR

Motorcycle Riders Foundation. They're the blanket lobbying outfit over the individual State motorcycle rights lobbying groups. (Indiana has ABATE, for example.) They work the Congress in Washington. I've been a member for years and strongly recommend them.

The AMA may go back to full time lobbying now that they've spun off the racing branch, but for a long time they had their attention pretty badly split. MRF has always maintained a single focus.

The MRF doesn't have a slick magazine or a racing sanctioning branch, the only events they put on are aimed at political organizing. I've never used their roadside assistance. My motorcycle insurance has roadside assistance. I've never used theirs either, though I do see it as a good thing to have.

I'm actually on the Board of the MRF... and have been using the MRF roadside assistance for many years. You can get more info here: http://www.mrf.org/roadside.php

Many insurance companies claim to offer comprehensive roadside assistance, but if you ever end up needing to be towed, you may be outta luck. Not so with the MRF plan though. AAA will not tow a bike unless you have their recreational policy in addition to a regular policy.

The most expensive MRF policy ($46.95/yr) will also cover your 4 wheeled vehicles for no extra charge.

About 6 years ago, I had a short in the main wiring harness on my Vulcan. The thing caught fire at the light at a freeway underpass. Fortunately, the guy behind me had a fire extinguisher and put it out, but it was toast. The MRF roadside assistance towed the bike home for nothing. Would have cost me about $175 normally. :cool10: