IGNORED

Iron Butt Magazine

twigg

For those not familiar with the above title, the magazine is the official publication of the Iron Butt Association.

Many times riders, particularly those on Long Distance rides, need to stop and rest. This may be for a whole night, a few hours or even just a 30 minute nap.

While hotels and motels are favorite, there are times when that option is not necessarily the preferred one and people take all sorts of opportunities to grab a few winks.

I am collecting stories and anecdotes and, in particular, high res. pics, of bikers, their bikes and any unusual situations they have slept in. Hence the comments in the other thread re: Hammocks.

If you have a story you wish to share, and if you have any decent pics of a "resting" moment that you wouldn't mind being published, could you please share them in the thread below.

Thanks.

I did the Saddle Sore last summer successfully. All I proved to myself was that I am an idiot.

The SS1000 is the shortest ride Certified but never let anyone suggest that it is the lesser for it.

Until someone has ridden a motorcycle 1000 miles, on the clock, they are not qualified to judge :)

Riders on this Forum do cover long distances, but they are not the norm. For most of my motorcycling friends, 200 miles is a long way and 1000 miles is inconceivable.

Congratulations. Whether it be dumb or not it is still quite an achievement.

ps ... I did my first SS1000 last March, on a 1977 Yamaha XS750. Now THAT was idiotic!

I use to stop at the rest area's and take a nap on a picnic table for a few hours but I haven't done that for over 10 years. I don't think I could move after sleeping on one now and the way people are today someone would probably cut my throat and take the 50 cents I have in my pocket.

As for the Iron Butt, I have never tried that and have no desire to but I have traveled over 800 miles in a day and usually travel 400 to 500 miles a day if I'm headed somewhere.

BOO

I use to stop at the rest area's and take a nap on a picnic table for a few hours but I haven't done that for over 10 years. I don't think I could move after sleeping on one now and the way people are today someone would probably cut my throat and take the 50 cents I have in my pocket.

As for the Iron Butt, I have never tried that and have no desire to but I have traveled over 800 miles in a day and usually travel 400 to 500 miles a day if I'm headed somewhere.

BOO

Rest areas are commonly used like that. As you identify, there are associated concerns mainly surrounding just being left alone. Thermarest type mattress pads make picnic tables more comfortable :)

Thanks.

Guest Slab_Ryder

Thanks Twigg. 1835 kms (exceeded requirement) on the clock in 22.5 hrs is an accomplishment. I decided not to send the paperwork in, as I know I was not safe on the road in the last 2.5 hrs, and did not want to remember the Ride for that.

I planned to sleep in Ironbutt Hotels on my ride to Indianapolis last year. I left after working all day, had dinner in Shreveport, and was riding through LA and MS when I realized all the rest areas were closed due to budget cuts! So I ended up staying at a hotel for three hours, an utter waste of money. I was at least safe, I guess.

FWIW, I've ridden several ironbutts, but only documented one. I'm planning an in-state this month, just so I qualify for the Mile Eaters program. LOL I might decide on the ride to extend it to an instate BB... what is the deadline you are working with?

Have you tried the Motorcycle Tourer's Forum? Lots of LD riders there.

Dave

IBA 39330

Deadline is 21st January.

I have most of what I need from the LD Rider List. I posted here because many of the members do ride a long way compared with yer average motorcyclists.

Pics would help, but I have a few.

Twigg,

So that was you that started the thread on the LD Riders list? It was fun the read the odd places and techniques used to grab a few winks.

Let's see, my best (sorry no pics);

1) slept 3 hours in gravel next to a liquor store drive thru (covered) in Gaylord, ND. This was during the MN2010 rally. Pouring rain and there wasn't a hotel room available due to the oil boom in the area.

2) slept 2 hours on a picnic bench in an OK rest area during a BBGold attempt in 2010. Didn't make the BBG but complete 1624 miles in about 27 hours (Fond du Lac, WI to San Antonio).

3) slept 2 hours in a SS car wash waiting out a snow storm last April. Was attempting a SS2000 but was stymied by the weather.

4) slept an hour behind a school during the final push to complete the Smoke Chasing Tour last year. Also slept for an hour in a cemetery and an hour in a church yard during the same run.

5) slept for 3 hours on a Walmart loading dock in Ashland, WI during the 2009 MN1000.

Have also stopped several times for just 3 or 4 hours in a hotel. Definitely a better sleep than the above.

RR

Yeah Red, that was me.

Bill Shaw liked the idea and asked me to compile the answers into an article for the magazine.

Need to put fingers to keyboard soon!

You know what they say about volunteering.

Look forward to the article. I will look thru my pictures and see if I have any locations documented.

RR

You know what they say about volunteering.

Look forward to the article. I will look thru my pictures and see if I have any locations documented.

RR

Thanks.

I asked the original question because I have entered the NSR Rally in July. That will have four compulsory 6 hour rest stops and I was considering not using a motel for one or more of them.

Thanks.

I asked the original question because I have entered the NSR Rally in July. That will have four compulsory 6 hour rest stops and I was considering not using a motel for one or more of them.

Per what I have read and experienced, in a multi-day rally, spring for the extra bucks and get a room for each rest period. The level of rest - to say nothing of a periodic shower and a scraping of the teeth - is much better in a motel.

Would love to run the NSR. However, not this year. The Alaska trip is sucking up all my motorcycle vacation time. Will enter and run the 8 hour Team Lyle and the MN1000 though. Can't let them go by.

RR