IGNORED

32mm carb swap,Venture heads too??

I've read all the great posts here about swapping my carbs to the 32mm on my 98 RSTD.I bought a set from an 02 Venture to do the job this winter.I also found some heads with cams,valves & springs at pinwall at a reasonable price(around $200.00 delivered) from an 02 Venture.Could I just simply buy and install the heads & intakes with the cams in them and not worry about making the adapter brackets and machining the intake to make for a relatively easy bolt on upgrade?The Venture heads & cams are an upgrade over my 98 RSTD cams,right?? Do the Venture heads bolt on? Is this a worthwhile upgrade,since I'm doing the carbs anyway?? Any input is appreciated.Oh and the rear v-max differential swap is on my upgrade list too...I need more power!!

Yes, the later heads will bolt on the earlier engines fine, but I don't think I'd say "simply install". Removing the heads requires removing the engine from the bike, plus removing the heads is a lot more teardown. That's why I with the help of a machinist friend of mine came up with the adapter plates.

The RSV exhaust cam is the same thing as yours. The RSV intake cam is slightly bigger, not very much, but supposedly more in line with the 32mm carbs. If you're really looking for more power and you're willing to tear the engine down to this point anyway, I'd say get some VMX cams for it and be done.

Yes, the later heads will bolt on the earlier engines fine, but I don't think I'd say "simply install". Removing the heads requires removing the engine from the bike, plus removing the heads is a lot more teardown. That's why I with the help of a machinist friend of mine came up with the adapter plates.

The RSV exhaust cam is the same thing as yours. The RSV intake cam is slightly bigger, not very much, but supposedly more in line with the 32mm carbs. If you're really looking for more power and you're willing to tear the engine down to this point anyway, I'd say get some VMX cams for it and be done.

Thanks,this is the info I was looking for.I thought the head swap would be a tough one labor wise.Does your machinist friend (or you)sell the adapter plates? I can get the intakes milled once I have them.I used to ride HD's and head swaps on those are easy...I'll spend the money you saved me on the rear gear swap.That with the new carbs should give me the extra power I'm looking for. Oh and thanks for the great how to article on the swap,I've printed it and without it I don't think i could have tacked this job!

Edited by Douginflorida
add thanks

Pulling the heads on an air cooled engine is much easier.

Yes, I make the adapter plates. If your current heads have the blank bosses on them for the 32mm intake bolt pattern, you might just drill and tap the other set of holes. Then you don't have to mill the intakes down either. I've done this on a couple bikes now and it works fine. You will need about a 12" extension for the drill bit to get past the frame and put the bit where you need it.

I also can machine down a VMX rear gear housing to mount the speedo sensor. It's a lot less than trading for another housing with the gears already swapped. I posted pictures of this operation last spring.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=59347