IGNORED

Carb jet sizes?

Going through my carbs and was wondering jet sizes. I thought mine were stock.

Slows were all #15 but mains were: LF-122.5, LR-122.5, RF-120, RR-117.5.

Is this a stock arrangement? OK, did more digging, they're stock.

Pilot screws were between 1½ to 2¼. location ?.

Do you need to put the covers back on screws?

Carbs were filthy on outside (little on inside as someone had put air filters in wrong)

I'm guessing all these years with eng case vent line dumping oily laced air in the air filter case.

Has anyone dumped the eng case vent to atmosphere like the other vent lines? I've seen it done on other bikes.

Why is the sky blue. I'll stop there!:confused24:

Edited by ACE50

No need to put the caps back on the pilot screws. Usually they are destroyed during removal.

Each pilot screw will be found in a different position measured by number of turns out. When I removed my caps and checked the screws they were all over the place. One of them, can't remember which just now, was barely a half turn out. This suggests that at least some rudimentary adjustment is made at the factory. But I doubt they do very much at the factory, given the number of other things that are essentially left un-done on these bikes at the factory. WOuldn't surprise me a bit if the assemblers of the carbs just slap 'em in there any old way and leave fine tuning to the end user. I could be wrong, of course.

Personally I wouldn't re-route the crank vent tube as you suggest. I've done this on other bikes and generally accomplished little more than making a mess on the bike, and in one case on my pants leg. It may be that having this oil mist going into the intake is good for the motor, as well as making less mess on the externals. The oil coating in the plenum could help collect dirt bits that get past the paper filters, or enter the very long intake tract of this bike at one of the other joints. And it could actually be good for the intake valves to have a little oil in the air going in.