IGNORED

Shift Pedal Assy keeps loosening up

I just purchase a 96 RS XVZ1300 and have noticed that the toe/heal shifter is physically loosening up from the post when shifting. I have pulled the whole assembly back to the tranny and cleaned/greased all the joints since it appears to have never been done. The washer/screw that secures the shifter to the post didn't look right so I replaced with hardware from BB. After all is said and done the thing is still loosening up? The shifter assy is a bit out of round but not too bad so I have not replaced it yet. Is this a known issue with these bikes? Anyone else experience this problem and if so what's the fix?

I also own a 96 Royal Star. The first thing to check is that there is clearance between the shift lever and the washer when the screw is tightened. If there is no clearance the friction between the shift lever and the washer will loosen the screw. If there is clearance you can try some blue locktite on the screw. You mentioned that the hole in the shift lever is worn slightly oval which is from lack of lubrication by the previous owner. It takes very little wear to create excessive slop in the linkage which results in poor shifting and difficulty finding neutral. I drilled the hole in my shift lever larger and made a bushing to provide a good fit on the post. Made a world of difference and now have very positive shifts and easy to find neutral. You could also replace the shift lever or have a machine shop install a bushing if you don't have the tools to do it yourself.

Hope this helps

Doug