IGNORED

110 volt lighting ?

GolfVenture

I have some under the kitchen cabinette lighting. It has one of those touch sensor things that increase the light 3 brightness then off. Its about 2 to 3 years old and is used alot for it really brightens up the kitchen counters.

One day my wife went to put it on and the touch switch flashed/sparked then nothing after that. SoI took about the controller circuit board and found a blown fuse. I unsoldier the fuse and then went looking for a 3amp 250 volt glass fuse (like an auto glass fuse).

Places do have the fuse but I need one with fuseable wires at the end of the fuse so I can soldier it to the circuit board. None at Radio Shack. None at Fry's Electronic. So I cliped off one end of the wire off the old fuse and tried to soldier it to the new fuse. no luck the soldier won't stick to the metal end of the fuse.

So then I went looking for a singel fuse holder that I could soldier. No luck.

So I'm thinking, what if I bought an auto inline fuse and soldier it and found a place to tuck the fuse holder. Does anyone see any reason why that wouldn't work or be unsafe?

Next I'll need to find a touch sensor switch for I'm guessing that the touch switch shorted out causing the fuse to blow.

It should work.....BUT...... and yes there is always a but in electrical. There is a reason that fuse blew. You need to check the lights and wiring to make sure there is not a short to ground or that the bulb has popped. The glass fuse you buy will not take the solder on the shiney chrome ends... you will need to take some sand cloth or simular to the end to find the brass or copper under it then use some acid flux to help it bond. The replaceable fuse is the best idea for you to use at least untill you track the WHY.

• 5 weeks later...

Got it fixed. Took an auto inline fuse and solider it into the circuit board. Put a 3 amp glass fuse in it. Took apart the touch switch and it looked good. Put it all together and bingo it works.

The fix is not very pretty but it works and beside it all hids in the upper cabinett above the microwave.

Attached is picture.