Mine work great. I installed it the day I got it. Went on a 250 mile test ride the next day. It preformed flawlessly. I have better throttle response and acceleration. No more hesation and 41 mpg, can beat it.

I need one for my V-Max next.

I had an issue with one of the units where it would not start the bike. Bike was barely running with a stock TCI & Ignitech would not fire it. Fortunately bike was located near me and I went to look at it twice. Turned out the connector from the pickup coils to the main harness was very dirty. With this cleaned Ignitech unit fired right up and ran the bike. Motor still needs some attention, to run correct, which I think is carb related.

This one really was baffling because I had run Ignitech in my bike prior to it going in this one. I also took a known good stock TCI along and another Ignitech unit to check it with. The Ignitech ties the 4 pickup coils into two inputs for the TCI, this creates a wasted spark setup similar to the 90-93 Ventures. The corroded contacts were bad enough to not allow the new TCI to run. When I separated contact halves there was a fair amount of material similar to sand that came out of it.

Gary

Is this the connection a lot of guys have been soldering Gary?

I think that is primarily the stator 3 wire connector to the regulator. I haven't heard anyone doing that to this connector, very little current in it really. It was just dirty and high resistance on contacts. The 4 pickup coils had correct ohms on them and were not shorted to ground.

Gary

I installed mine today in my 88 VR. Just for background - my original TCI works fine and it is installed in the same spot as it was when it came from the factory. Also, I have the original radio & cassette player in place. Here is how I did it -

1) Removed the battery and battery box. Once I did that I was able to get the two plugs out from the original TCI. (There is a bar under the battery box that gets in the way. Just work around it. You can work the plug's locking tab with a screwdriver and get the plugs out. Took the two connectors (with their wires) and pulled them to the left side of the air filter box. You may want to route them under another wire that was running in that same area. (I duct taped the connectors on the original TCI to keep moisture and junk out.) Reinstalled the battery box and battery.

2) Follow Gary's installation instructions and mounted the new Ignitech box on the air filter cover with the Velcro. Used some dielectric grease and connected the plugs. (I tie- wrapped the connectors to keep them together).

3) I had to find a creative place to put the MAP sensor. Gary's instructions said that he mounted his in the left fairing. Problem is that I still have a bunch of original radio equipment there. After much experimentation, I velcro-ed it VERTICALLY on the left rear corner of the air filter box - i.e., the top part of the MAP sensor is under the airbox lid edge. (By left - I mean where your left thigh would be if you are sitting on the bike. By VERTICALLY - I mean that the TCI box is mounted HORIZONTAL on the airbox lid. The MAP sensor is on the left rear side on the airbox itself and is mounted VERTICAL. It fits just about perfectly there.) Connected the vaccum hose at the plastic connector and snaked it up to where the MAP sensor is.

My impressions of the new unit (after a 40 mile test ride today)-

a. It works. It works great actually. For the most part it is comparable to the original unit or even better. Gary's program does seem to give my old VR some more oomph at the mid and high end of the rpm range. It seems different at the low end (2000-2500 RPM range) but it is hard to quantify exactly why I think this. Not a problem at all.

b. The rev limiter at 7500 RPM is a surprise when it kicks in. I guess it is needed and I will keep it for now.

c. It seems to take an extra few revs of the starter to get it started than the original TCI. I think this is part of the programming (if I remember some discussion in another thread.) Not objectionable - just different.

d. I don't know what the impact on gas mileage is at this time.

All in all, I am very very pleased with the unit. Even if your old TCI works, I highly recommend this as an upgrade. I can't wait to play a bit with the programming in the future but I must admit that Gary's upload is really pretty good "as is".

Thanks again Gary for putting this whole deal together !!!

Edited by safetyguy

b. The rev limiter at 7500 RPM is a surprise when it kicks in. I guess it is needed and I will keep it for now.

The rev limiter is on the Miscellaneous Tab of the TCIP4 software.

c. It seems to take an extra few revs of the starter to get it started than the original TCI. I think this is part of the programming (if I remember some discussion in another thread.) Not objectionable - just different.

I sent all of the units out with 1st revolution with no spark. This seemed to help prevent the misfires when bike was first started. This setting is on same Tab as above.

Michael,

Both settings are an easy change, you have the USB/Com cable to be able to hook into module. If you need any help contact me.

Gary

Gary I know you have explained this before but why a Rev limiter? I see Red Line pretty often.

They are the same thing, sort of.

Red line is a mark on the tach that denotes manufactures suggested upper RPM limit. Nothing to stop rider from exceding this.

Rev limiter is an electronic way of enforcing this suggestion (or another RPM if it is adjustable) by inhibiting the ability of motor to increase RPM's further. In the Ignitech case, the spark to the plugs is interupted, but not completly shut down, they may kill a couple of cylinders, not sure though. The effect of this is more gentle than some of the HD's I have rode, where they kill the spark totally and it gives the feeling of hard motor braking, slamming rider forward.

Gary

Dingy, I have to say nice job with Ignitech deal. You did a nice job programing for a 1990 TCI. Runs great. Maybe some changes low end but otherwise great. I have to give you a hand that must have been alot of work. You are appreciated.

Thanks, Jim

.:thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::thumbsup2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2: