IGNORED

Linked Brake Fiasco solved !!

Hi All,

My buddy has an 84 venture, he traded for it and it had squeaky rear brake so he put new pads in. He tried and tried to get the brakes bled. I personally read every first gen brake bleeding problem here and on the other list trying to help him. It turns out, that he thinks the problem was, , GET THIS, the brake pedal had little to no free play in it, the footpegs were put on the most forward location, once he moved the pegs and brake pedal back one notch, the brakes bled just fine thank you. He finally had noticed that the brake adjuster was at the very end of its travel so , having everything else fail, he moved it back and tried bleeding it. He is theorizing ,sp, that the master cyl was pulled past its proper travel, therefore stopping any actual brake bleeding. This is the first time that I have heard of this on this and the other list, so I will be posting this as a theoretical possibility so others may know what happened. I would appreciate comments from anyone else who has had this problem as well as anyone who knows for absolute sure that this ,,theoretical assumption is a possibility.

Very good post and reminder Tom. You are right that it is easy to get the rear master cylinder out of adjustment, particularly if the foot peg is moved. I try to keep mine adjusted to the point there is very little slack in the linkage when I start pushing down on the pedal and the when the master cylinder linkage starts moving. The trick is to make sure the master cylinder linkage is fully extended when the pedal is as rest and that the pedal moves freely, as I have seen pedals that were a little sticky and needed to be dissembled, cleaned and lubed.

RandyA