IGNORED

07 V-Star 1100 ??

Bill in NJ

HI all. A buddy i ride with has an 07 V Star Classic 1100 and is having a problem. After about 90 - 100 miles of riding or when it gets to about a half tank of fuel the bike loses power like its starving for fuel. If he stops and fuels up the problem goes away that is until the fuel runs down to about half tank. So what do you think?? I had him try seafoam because seafoam cures all but with no luck. Thanks.

Bill

Not sure what the fuel feed set up from the tank is like on the 07 V-Star, but this sounds very much like a problem I had on an old HD. If it has an upright filter screen in the tank, the lower half of the screen could be fouled.

I pulled the screens, flushed them, and cured the problem. Of course it was still an HD, but at least it wasn't starving for fuel. :rotfl:

:mytruck1:

the 1100 has a few quirks that may be your problem

first make sure the fuel pump is working right it will do this when the pump stops working it will run till about half a tank

the other thing is like Don said the vent in the tank its in the gas cap you will need to take it apart and ditch the small ball and make sure the hole is open

dray

any questions i can help with give me a call

next time it acts up switch to reserve. If that helps your petcock screens need cleaned...

If that doesn't help:

pull over, shut bike off, take helmet off and listen very carefully when you open your gas cap. If there is a vacume, there is a process where you can modify the bullet shaped rubber. Good idea to blue loctite the screws as it "will' fall apart eventually and you "will" be fishing the parts that are left over out of your gas tank. by the way a new gas cap costs $150... don't ask me how I know...

Assume you haven't purchased aftermarket gas cap... which by the way is the quickest way to collapse a tank if its not a vented cap...

replace fuel filter... they are dirt cheap and easy to change

as posted by Dray:

yes its a common problem with the Vstar's when she get's it back she will need to remove the gas cap and take it apart the vent is in the cap

here is the fix for ya:thumbsup2:

http://www.ragdoll.net/bike/gascap.htm

Edited by CaptainJoe

most times if the vent is the problem if you stop someplace and come back out it will not start at this time open the gas cap if it starts right up its the vent

filter is under the seat you will find it

here is a part # 3032 NAPA...

Edited by dray

Thanks all. my first thought was a glogged tank filter too. Just didn't want to take it apart if we didn't need to. i'll have him start with the easy stuff first and have him check for the cap vent and work our way down the list. Thanks again. I'll let you all know what we find.

Bill