IGNORED

my son lost 5th gear

My son(vegastruckee) set out on a 4,000 mi. road trip from Las Vegas a couple of days ago, on his 2nd gen 2002 VRS. Yesterday morning when he left Sacramento, Ca. he lost 5th gear. It was like he shifted to neutral. He called me at his next gas stop and I hit the forums. I made a couple of calls from the VR assistance list and Tim helped me find a place for truckee to get some help. I searched all over the forums for the problem and found some solutions by the time he made his next stop. I set him up with Justin at Pacific Motorsports in Eureka, Ca. They drained the oil and didn't find any fileings or gear parts in it, so truckee is continuing on. I think, from the way it sounds, he may have the old "pin" style gear change pawl, and the retainer clip has bent/broken and allowed the pin to partially dislodge. I will be going out to Vegas next month and ,if he completes his trip with no other issues, I will help him take the cover and clutch basket off and show him how smart I am. He expects to have to drop the motor and split it. I told him he shouldn't have any trouble in 4th if he watches his temp., fuel mileage, and keeps it under 75. His previous motorcycle was one of them Hiabussa's, so the last step might be hard for him.

Truckee has gone about 800 mi. since he dropped 5th. He told me this morning that he was getting 44 mpg now. (he was getting 32 mpg commuting 20 miles to work and back using 5th on the freeway). I guess his 1300 is happier at higher revs.