IGNORED

Solid motor mounts

Venturous Randy

Whenever I removed the two side bars that hold the side panels on, which was to enhance the look with the bikini side panels, I was concerned I would get some flexing. Well, after putting the bars back on today, I am sure I was getting some flexing.

I have seen several comments over the years about solid motor mounts on a 1st gen. Now I feel if I want to run without the side bars, I need to get some solid motor mounts. If any of you know where I can get some, please let me know. Otherwise I will probably have to make some.

Thanks

randya

I Put Them In My 93 And Like Them Alot,made The Bike Feel And Handle Better.makes The Engine And Frame One,you Get A Little More Vibration From The Handle Bars And In The Foot Pegs But It Is Well Worth It.i Think They Cost Me Around 70 Bucks.and I Think I Got Them From Buckeye Performance,they Are Not Alot Of Fun To Install,the One On The Left Rear I Still Need To Change Out Over The Winter,looks Like The Engine Has To Be Preaty Loose To Get It In.

Randy,

Yeah solid mounts will stop the motor from flexing in the frame where I would guess you old motor mounts are pretty worn out.

However, removing that cross bar will allow your frame to flex more. This is one of the 1st fixes that the V-Max owners make to their bike (that don't have this bar) to keep their frames from flexing. So in all reality, this bar is more than just a hanger for plastic, it provides extra strength for the frame by creating a triangle between the top and lower parts of the frame which is a parrallelogram. If it were me and I wanted to show the engine off by taking the panels off, I'd keep the bars, but paint them the color of the engine?

Rick

Randy,

Yeah solid mounts will stop the motor from flexing in the frame where I would guess you old motor mounts are pretty worn out.

However, removing that cross bar will allow your frame to flex more. This is one of the 1st fixes that the V-Max owners make to their bike (that don't have this bar) to keep their frames from flexing. So in all reality, this bar is more than just a hanger for plastic, it provides extra strength for the frame by creating a triangle between the top and lower parts of the frame which is a parrallelogram. If it were me and I wanted to show the engine off by taking the panels off, I'd keep the bars, but paint them the color of the engine?

Rick

i agree,frame flex can also lead to metal fatigue and breakage.thou should'nt question mother yamaha.the support is there for a reason.bill

It is my intent at the moment to paint the bars silver. I thought about having them chromed, but getting anything chromed anymore is outragous, and chrome may be even more obvious.

It is my thought that the solid motor mounts might give enough triangulation to not need the bars. I think you almost have to pull the engine to replace the rear mounts.

I started to title the thread "I need more rigidity" but i figured I might just get too much thread drift if ya know what I mean.

Looking at my avatar, you can get an idea of how it looks with the bikini panels and without the bars.

randya