With riding season rapidly approaching (although I do commute year round on the scoot) I decided to make a sojourn up to the wilds of PA and visit Skydoc. So a call was placed about three months ago to start the planning and make sure everything was ready for my arrival.

So the following was done to get the scoot back to my standards:

1. Valve Cover gaskets replaced with 2nd Gen gaskets; oil is meant to be on the inside.

2. Speedo cable replaced becuase I "lost" the center portion of the cable. Actually the cable came off and the center section is somewhere on I-95 between DC and Woodbridge.

3. Anti-Dives replaced with Skydoc's block-off plates. This really cleaned up the front fork section and got rid of an annoying clicking I was having when the forks were compressed. While we were there we went ahead and replaced the fork oil with 15 wt stuff.

4. New to me mufflers installed. The ones I modified (butchered) were in rough shape before I hacked on them so I was happy to replace them with the ones Skydoc had "lying" around. Heck after a little Naval Jelly and elbow grease this things came out looking damn good.

5. Carb tuning and sync; still chasing a small idle circuit demon and an occasional backfire when slamming the throttle shut from WOT but all in all this is a huge improvement over the way it ran when Skydoc pulled it into the garage.

6. Mink oil treatment to seat; this was a Mrs Skydoc (Jean) special and it really helped the looks and softness of the seat material. Also has the added benefit of repelling dirt and water.

7. Radiator mount repair and drain repair.

I can honestly say this is the best the scoot has run since I bought it back in August 2010.

A special thanks to Skydoc (Earl) and Jean, they were perfect hosts and I truly felt spolied while I was there; much to the chagrin of the wife :cool10:. Also, the spare parts (where all First Gen VR Mk II's go when they die) bikes came in handy for the misc connectors and parts. I really could not have picked a better place or people to help get my scoot back to near perfect operation.

Edited by MikeZ06Allen

Hey Mike,

Thanks for those kind words! It was a pleasure to have you stop by "the little shop by the creek) this weekend. I had Gruel for dinner this evening, (I hope you're happy) we had a bunch left over, seeing as Jean cooked up all of the "Good Food" for YOU!

Mike was a wonderful guest, (Do NOT let him NEAR any Parts Bikes) and we did some fine work on his 89'VR this weekend. I will attach some pics to this post later, Jean says it's past my bed time!

Thanks Mike, for letting me help you with this project,:thumbsup2:

Earl and Jean