IGNORED

Memory card for Zumo 660 HELP!!

b2dad

Don just got a Zumo 660 and I downloaded music to it because it said I could. Then the GPS wouldn't stay on. Everytime I would turn it on to see if the music was ok, it would turn itself off in 5 seconds. Frustrating!!

So then I deleted all but 2 songs and now it stays on and plays those 2 songs. I couldn't figure out why I couldn't download more songs.

I finally downloaded the manual to my computer (since NOTHING comes with a manual anymore). It MENTIONS a 4 GB micro SD card. ???? So why in the world does it NOT come with one??? Just another dang accessory you have to buy I guess.

So now my question is: Can I just go to Wal Mart or Radio Shack and buy a "card" or does it have to be the one from Garmin, which by the way costs $33 (plus shipping I am sure) and says takes 2-3 weeks before it will ship?

Any ideas or suggestions?

Patti

Thanks for the reply Don. So can you tell me how many songs you can download to a 4 GB as opposed to a 16 GB?

Do you also have pictures on yours? I see that you can put pictures on it too. I have to make time to read more of the manual. LOL

sounds like enough for me...but then Don rides more than I do (since he still makes me work! LOL).

Appreciate all the info. I sometimes think I am too old to learn all this new "tech" stuff. It really stinks sometimes to have my grandchildren show me how to do something on the computer or on the Wii. LOL

Patti

That is probably true. Most of the songs I have are a bit rate of 128K. If you use a higher bitrate then the file size goes up dramatically. I personally cannot hear the difference. Most songs are about 3 to 4 minutes and at 128k run about 3 to 4 megs. An audiofile with very discerning ears may hear the difference. On the bike or even in the cage with road noise etc thrown in ... NADA.. My opinion..

Since Don and I are nearly deaf (he more so than me) sound quality may not be that important...or is it? Most of the time he has the volume maxxed out and I have to turn mine down somewhat. Thank goodness I have my own control!!

I appreciate all the info and it will definitely help me decide which card to get...or maybe I will just get more than one...one for country music and one for rock (or oldies as the case may be). Depends on what mood we are in, right?

So then, does it matter if you mix music and pictures on the same card? And when downloading, will it tell you if it's full / out of memory? And ...are they all alike? As in...do you have to have a special one that will FIT the slot? Or are they all made the same way? Just wondering...

Is there a gps guide for idiots? LOL

Patti:

You can mix it up on the same card. The unit knows the difference between pictures and music. The type of card (micro sd) is what is important. Brand or make is not as important. Something from online or Wallyworld will be just fine as long as it is a micro sd card. They usually come with an adapter so you can plug them into a standard SD slot on the computer to add files directly. If you want to have room for everything on one card then get a bigger card like 8 or 16 gigs. If you want to have different things like you said country on one and classic rock on another then it is easy to store the extra cards. A little inconvenient changing them is all. You have to remove the back of the unit to change the card.

Wayne