IGNORED

Need to set carbs on 600 Bandit S

GaryZ

There are 3 sync screws located between each two carburetors on the butterfly shaft. They work just like on the Venture except the carburetors are all in line so there isn't a linkage from left to right. Just like on the Venture they're screws through sheet metal cams with springs on them.

You'll probably need to pull the tank to get to them. In theory there should be enough fuel in the carbs to do a sync, but I generally use an axillary tank.

From the fiche it appears that the #2 (2nd from left) carburetor is fixed. You'd sync 1 to 2, then 3 to 4, then finally 3 to 2. It's really more intuitive than on the Venture because they're all lined up rather than the cross bike linkage (I always loose track of which screw is which on the Venture).

From the fiche it is not clear where the sync ports are. I believe they'll be plugged with screws either in the head or in the carburetor throats. You'll need the adapters to put your gauges on them.

Thanks!!!

This bike has the same type vacuum ports on the carb boots as the VR.

Oh good. Way easier than dropping little screws and their aluminum crush washers.

I was in the shop taking phone calls and paging through the fiche looking for the ports when I answered this. I either overlooked the nipples or Suzuki didn't find it necessary to put them in the drawing.

Oh good. Way easier than dropping little screws and their aluminum crush washers.

I was in the shop taking phone calls and paging through the fiche looking for the ports when I answered this. I either overlooked the nipples or Suzuki didn't find it necessary to put them in the drawing.

They sit on top of the carb boots (intake side). 1 & 2 have rubber plugs, 3 & 4 have vacuum lines (one line goes to the petcock, the other goes to a mysterious device above the cylinder head).

After adding a shim to each needle and syncing the carbs on this Bandit, I still have a hiccup right off of idle. Any ideas?

:detective:

When was the last time you cleaned the carbs and how often is this bike ridden?

Reason I ask is that I had a 96 Bandit 600 for a while and even AFTER I cleaned the carbs (took off, disassembled, dipped, etc etc) and even after that if it sat for a few weeks it would run terribly until fresh fuel with a little sea-foam ran through it. So if you haven't cleaned the carbs recently or if it sat for a while, you may have partially clogged jets or whatever... It may not simply be a carb sync issue.

Just a thought.

:080402gudl_prv:

That can be tough to cure.

If it's stumbling just off idle it is probably lean on the pilot mixture. Sure the carburetors are completely clean? Make sure the float levels aren't low. Then you might set the idle just a bit richer.

Those are small carbs with tiny orifices. As LilBeaver pointed out they'll gum up pretty fast.

Yes, it sat for months with 10% ethanol in it and was gummed up when I got it. I filled the carbs with Sea Foam and let it sit a couple of times before it would start and run normal. Two tanks of 100% gas have been run through it now.

I agree that the low speed circuits are probably the cause of the stumble. The screws for these are on the bottom (!) of each carb and they are still capped. On my Venture I was able to remove the screws and shoot carb cleaner straight into the circuit. These will need to come off the bike if they don't clean up soon.

:depressed:

Thanks for the input!