IGNORED

right side blues?

latchkey

this morning i decided to ride my bike to work,39 degrees. as i let it warm up, choke off i noticed a ticking sound out of right exhaust pipe and then seen steam vapors coming out left side exhaust but not right. left exhaust hot -right cold? started my truck to see if both exhaust steamed and they did,duels. rode to work 3 miles , steam vapors gone and both sides hot now.couldnt hear ticking anymore but seems to me both sides should have been steaming togather. you think cly. not firing on right side??? now i worried something wrong. should i be?

Something is wrong, but it may not be too serious. You did not give us any information on what bike you have, but I can provide some general thoughts that would apply to anything with completely separate L/R exhausts. BTW - unless you put separate exhausts on that truck yourself, dual pipes are almost never true separate systems.

The lack of steam on both sides is not particularly worrisome because the conditions may have been just marginal for that. But a pronounced difference in heat is significant. This indicates one or more cylinders on that side are not fully contributing to the engine at that time. The most likely cause is partially plugged pilot jets in one or both carbs. The fingertip test on the headers would let you isolate the specific cylinder(s). But you need to wait until the temps are warm enough to do a cold start without the choke on.

You also may have one or more choke or enrichment circuits not fully shutting off (since you said this was observed with the choke off). That would also be consistent with both symptoms.

:080402gudl_prv:

Goose

thank you for your info on this. i did not test each exhaust point out of heads, but will. its a 05 venture with roadking slipons. when i changed oil the other day it had a gasie smell to it? could that mean something in the line of jets not fuctioning right.

The condition of the jets can have absolutely nothing to do with smelling fuel in the oil. Depending on how bad it was and how long the bike had been run before that change, the smell might have been normal. Alternatively, it could indicate that the bike had been occasionally started and idled a while during the winter (always a BAD idea), or a leaking float valve.

Goose