I have an 06 Black Cherry RSV and the gentlemen I bought the bike from did not like the long dual antennas so he either cut them off or got shorties to fit under the trunk. He never used the CB so didn't know if it worked. I of course want the long antennas and the CB to work. With the current short antennas I can hear from other CBs but not transmit. Any ideas if this is due to the inadequate antenna or could it also be a CB problem?

Thanks for any insight I can get.

Mongo

You can tell if the cb is trying to transmit because the TX comes on in the radio controller when the mic button is pushed. I agree though do not be trying to transmit with a bad antenna. It will cause the transmitter to burn out.

Hopefully!! Yes, the mismatch of "impedance" ofthe antenna's wavelength, or physical length, can indeed damage the transmitter. Chances are you have not done any damage from just a short period, but you never know. They are designed with safety features internally to protect the circuitry but not for long term use.

Make sure you put the CB antenna on the correct side. It does not specifically have to be a Yammi antenna, a lot of people have used a "Firestick" brand antenna with very satisfactory results.

How's your FM reception with the shorter antenna? The physical size is also important for proper reception, but won't do any damage if not correct, just give poorer reception...

Thanks again all. I got two Firesticks to replace the CB and Radio antenna's. All is working fine now and I even bought an SWR meter to ensure they stay tuned properly. I really appreciate all of the insight.

Mongo