IGNORED

Split the fairing for the first time this weekend...

elmicko

I put a new windshield on my bike this weekend and took the opportunity to split the faring for the first time. Figured since it's an '03 that all the connectors in there, etc would need some attention. The first surprise was the chrome windshield trim still had all the tabs intact, couldn't believe it after the stories I've read on here. Second surprise was that it was spotless inside, all of the connectors were clean and in great shape. I did hit all of them with a little dielectric grease since I was already in there. Needless to say, I was doing the happy dance.:banana:

So your not a fairing virgin anymore huh.. Good on ya..

Makes you feel confident if and when you may have to split it again..

Had mine apart so many times I cant remember the count..

Once Freebird reads this, he will know he now has another mechanic to help others at his maintenance day weekend event...

Looks like your in big trouble.......:stickpoke:

well, I opened her up so I can check all the audio connections...but I had a feeling I might have a tab problem...both ends of the windshield brace were broken and one lower tab on the chrome windshield piece was snapped off...didn't find any loose pieces, so I've probably been driving it with broken tabs...I did think there was some looseness in the windshield over bumps...

so...I jb welded the brace back in place, at least for the time being it felt pretty tight...made a tab and jb welded it back on after using the dremel to clean it up..haven't put it back together yet...wife got home and wanted to get dinner...so I'll hopefully get it back together in the morning...

tightend up some wiring and dielectric grease on all the audio...

all the lights work fine and no audio problems yet...a test ride will tell..

spending far more time working on it and not riding....hope this takes care of 'problems' for a while...

but thanks to this forum I am no longer a fairing virgin!!

thanks to freebird, goose, and all the others here that share their knowledge and fixit experiences...

Brian