IGNORED

I'm gonna ask anyway.....a tire question.

Snaggletooth

Ok, I've been a big supporter of the Avon Venons. I'm happy with them as an all round, all weather tire. But I'm at the point where the set I have now needs to be replaced.

The one thing I'd like to gain in a new set of tires is better handling on off the beaten path roads. Lime rock, gravel and dirt. The Avons are not the greatest on these kinds of roads. I'm not going all out off road here but I do tend to wander down any road that will take me to someplace interesting. I live in Nebraska for Gods sake. It takes some effort to get someplace interesting.

I ran Contys on my old GWs back in the 80's and they worked pretty well on the gravel roads. They were a pretty well treaded tire.

Any recommendations on tire that would be an improvement in this area that would be available in 1st gen sizes?

Mike

Guest tx2sturgis

Motorcycle tires, like any tire, are either good on pavement, good on dirt, or a compromise between the two.

If you choose a tire that has more rubber on the road, like an Avon, they wont handle well on the dirt. And a dual sport tire with agressive, soft tread, probably wont handle well on the pavement, especially in turns, and will wear out quickly.

You can get better handling in the dirt with a street tire if you slightly reduce the air pressure in the tire, but then you have to have a way to air it back up when you hit the asphalt again.

Good luck with your search.

I tried the lower pressures with the Avons and it did seem to cut the wandering on the rocks a bit. BUT......only a few pounds lower on the streets really changed the handling on the bike in a really uncomfortable way. I can always tell when the tires are a bit low.

I know finding a tire that will balance the ride and needs I want may be an interesting search. Just finding a tire with decent load ratings can be fun. The dual sports may fall short there as well. Only research will tell.

Mike