IGNORED

Simple Charging/jump start system

This is a very simple system that I just installed on my bike for two reasons.

1. I do not want to remove the seat all the time to charge the battery.

2. I also want a quick system to jump start my motorcycle should the battery go dead on me for any reason and I need to get home. Its nice to have a system on the bike so as one does not have to tear the bike apart to get to the battery connections. I want a fast fix if I am down for any reason. Plan ahead!!

Steps 1. Remove the seat so as to access the Battery and the cover for the circuit breakers left side rear of motorcycle. "near battery"

2. Get a large electrical wire or what I did was use electrical wire with three wires inside the rubber covering about 9 inches long. Need large wire to start the starter should it be necessary to jump start the motorcycle.

3. I then got two electrical connectors which would fit on the battery positive post and one that would fit on a 5/16 inch bolt that is one and 3/8 inches long.

4. I then drilled a 5/16 hole on the plastic cover that is behind the battery near the positive post.

5. I crimped the electrical connectors on each end of the wires.

6. I put one connector on the 5/16 inch bolt and put on a nut and tighten the connector to the bolt.

7. I then passed the bolt through the hole that I drilled 5/16 in the plastic and installed lock washer and bolted it to the plastic cover. The bolt is now sticking out about 3/4 of an inch.

8. I then installed the other end to the positive post of the battery and routed the wire where it would not be hitting anything.

9. I then tested the system by placing my battery charger on the motorcycle with the postive lead attached to the 5/16 inch bolt and the negative place on any ground/metal on the motorcycle.

10. The bolt is extremely hard to see with the seat both on or off but it really helps in knowing that you can charge the bike and jump start without removing the seat and etc.

If anyone would like to see photos of the system installed write me a e-mail and I will send the photos. Dan4852@aol.com :whistling:

Edited by DanC
spelling eror

:goodpost:

Sounds like a great idea!

Well done.

I have heard of folks installing permanent leads for a battery tender and wondered how it might be done.

I have a first Gen... I thought of running the leads into the gas filler compartment but somehow the idea of possible sparking right there didn't appeal to me.

Anybody have any other suggestions?