IGNORED

F350 Feedback

Condor

I ran into a 2008 Ford F350 Diesel that's coming up for auction. Did the usual research on value and feedback. The feedback is mixed. Anyone here running a F350 or F250 2008 or later?? I understand they had a problem with the radiator leaking, but anything else I should be aware of??

I ran into a 2008 Ford F350 Diesel that's coming up for auction. Did the usual research on value and feedback. The feedback is mixed. Anyone here running a F350 or F250 2008 or later?? I understand they had a problem with the radiator leaking, but anything else I should be aware of??

i bent a frame on a new F250 it was a 08 bent it to the point we had to use a loader to put it on a trailer to get it to the body shop the 250 is the same frame as the 150 with out the spacer blocks to give it a lift its a light duty frame now the F 350 is if i remember right built on a totally different chassis and running gear but im not a big ford fan so you may want to check with others on that

Yeah, those links are for the 6.0 Diesel which was a disaster. The 2008 has the 6.4, a lot better engine.

My 6.0 liter has been fine over hundred thousand miles on it. The 6.4 has terrible mileage due to the emmisions cannister that uses fuel to burn off soot what a bright idea use more fuel to quell emmisions. Though enterprising folks have come up with a way to get rid of it and I hear they can get over 20 mpg. Other then the mileage thing I would get one.

My 6.0 liter has been fine over hundred thousand miles on it. The 6.4 has terrible mileage due to the emmisions cannister that uses fuel to burn off soot what a bright idea use more fuel to quell emmisions. Though enterprising folks have come up with a way to get rid of it and I hear they can get over 20 mpg. Other then the mileage thing I would get one.

Consider yourself very lucky. Ford lost a ton on the 6L diesel. When they first came out they were dropping like flies, and weren't offered more than a couple of years.... Wish they still offered the IDI. Put 365,000 on the '87 6.9 and have 270,000 on the '92 7.3 so far. So much for the EPA/CARB restrictions. The 6.4 turbo get's about the same milage as the IDI's, the jury's still out on the lasting power.... :)

Stay with the 7.3 mileage is not the best (I get 14 on my 00) but like the the venture they run and run. I have a neighbor with a 99 and over 450,000 on it, had since new. Most of those are local (town miles). Never had any major work done to it.

Yours are Power Strokes Mike. My '92 is naturally asperated. It get's about 16.5 to 17mpg. The problem is it's a '92 and is getting long in the tooth. I'd like to find something nice and fairly current that will last me another 20 years, and at my age it will probably be my last hoorah. I just looked up the Trade in/Private Party value on the 2008 and got a bloody nose. Plus it still needs the sellers permission to let it go to the high bidder (bank owned). So much for getting a buy.... I'll watch the auction, but I don't have much hope of getting it.

Consider yourself very lucky. Ford lost a ton on the 6L diesel. When they first came out they were dropping like flies, and weren't offered more than a couple of years.... Wish they still offered the IDI. Put 365,000 on the '87 6.9 and have 270,000 on the '92 7.3 so far. So much for the EPA/CARB restrictions. The 6.4 turbo get's about the same milage as the IDI's, the jury's still out on the lasting power.... :)

My 04 did have an oil leak which they fixed and an egr blockage other then that the truck has been great runs smooth and quiet and I love the trans. I used to own a 1999 2nd Gen 7.3 powerstroke which means they made some minor changes to the motor after Dec 1998 I believe. That truck got about 18-19 mpg on the hwy. Sold it with 300000+ miles and the guy I sold it to still owns it. This current 6.0 gets about 17mpg on hwy and about 10-13 mpg towing a 37' 5th wheel camper. The guy I know who owns a 6.4 likes the truck but hates the mileage I think he said he gets about 10-12 and thats not towing anything and the light for the emissions cannister which tells you when its burning off soot is on alot. They only made this engine for 2 yrs since Ford had their spat with International. I dont know anything about new 6.7 liter.

People forget the 99-03 7.3 had alot of injector prolems due I think to the dead head design where fuel doesnt flow past the the last cylinder to the fuel tank but instead stops there so air can get trapped there.

I really like the Cummins motors in Dodges just dont think their truck and tranys are tough enough.

I have six 6.4 power strokes in my fleet along with 12 6.0 power strokes. The 6.0's are really bad, the 6.4's are just bad. Fuel mileage is terrible, they all have a driving hesitation that Ford is unable to address. All of the 6.4's have had at least two EGR's installed and one EGR cooler installed with most having injector issues also. All of our 6.4's have around 90 to 150 thousand miles on them. The 6.0's I wouldn't use as a boat anchor as I am sure the anchor would drag, they are that bad. I have five 7.3's with over 300 thousand miles on them and all we've done is one turbo and transmissions.

Any issues with the 6.4's are going by the wayside as Ford and International have severed all business assoiciations with each other and are now in litigation over the problems with these engines.

The Cummins units I have have had no serious issues, we have two. The GMC's we have, also two, also have run very well, one with over 200 thousand miles without any big issues.

Hope this helps

I have six 6.4 power strokes in my fleet along with 12 6.0 power strokes. The 6.0's are really bad, the 6.4's are just bad. Fuel mileage is terrible, they all have a driving hesitation that Ford is unable to address. All of the 6.4's have had at least two EGR's installed and one EGR cooler installed with most having injector issues also. All of our 6.4's have around 90 to 150 thousand miles on them. The 6.0's I wouldn't use as a boat anchor as I am sure the anchor would drag, they are that bad. I have five 7.3's with over 300 thousand miles on them and all we've done is one turbo and transmissions.

Any issues with the 6.4's are going by the wayside as Ford and International have severed all business assoiciations with each other and are now in litigation over the problems with these engines.

The Cummins units I have have had no serious issues, we have two. The GMC's we have, also two, also have run very well, one with over 200 thousand miles without any big issues.

Hope this helps

Great feedback... Thanks.. :thumbsup2:

I see some of our members have some 6.0L power strokes. Just a word from a Shop Foreman with a bunch of them in our fleet, being used as mechanics trucks and supers trucks. If you have one with over a hundred thousand on it be on top of any coolant loss as they are prone to head gasket issues. We keep a set of gaskets and heads in the shop. The heads haven't cracked yet, it is just easier to replace and check them when we have the time. The trucks with higher mileage tend to lose the high pressure oil pump and then your done until it is replaced. Even with all that I just wrote we have one and one only in the fleet that we don't have any issues with, and it is an early 6.0.

The driving issues they have with the 6.4 can best be descrided as a rev limiter bump,type of feeling. The engine drops cylinders when put under lite throttle pressure at highway speeds. On roads with gradual but long inclines it will do it on cruise. Ford has no fix for it. I worked for Ford for 18years as a mechanic and still have some contacts in Fords truck division and to a man they all said it is a "live with it" situation as they have all their marbles in the 6.7L now and hope as time goes by owners will gradually upgrade. Being a Ford man and a mechanic who has always taken pride in fixing things that are broken, it really irks me that Ford has basically given up on the 6.4 and 6.0, but that seems to be what they've done.

I see some of our members have some 6.0L power strokes. Just a word from a Shop Foreman with a bunch of them in our fleet, being used as mechanics trucks and supers trucks. If you have one with over a hundred thousand on it be on top of any coolant loss as they are prone to head gasket issues. We keep a set of gaskets and heads in the shop. The heads haven't cracked yet, it is just easier to replace and check them when we have the time. The trucks with higher mileage tend to lose the high pressure oil pump and then your done until it is replaced. Even with all that I just wrote we have one and one only in the fleet that we don't have any issues with, and it is an early 6.0.

The driving issues they have with the 6.4 can best be descrided as a rev limiter bump,type of feeling. The engine drops cylinders when put under lite throttle pressure at highway speeds. On roads with gradual but long inclines it will do it on cruise. Ford has no fix for it. I worked for Ford for 18years as a mechanic and still have some contacts in Fords truck division and to a man they all said it is a "live with it" situation as they have all their marbles in the 6.7L now and hope as time goes by owners will gradually upgrade. Being a Ford man and a mechanic who has always taken pride in fixing things that are broken, it really irks me that Ford has basically given up on the 6.4 and 6.0, but that seems to be what they've done.

No issues yet with coolant boiling over. I do run an aftermarket 4 " exhaust, no chip, or special intake. A ford diesel mechanic related to me that running the aftermarket exhaust is good for that motor helps cool it down. I guess I'll believe him. So far its been a good truck. Who designed thier current 6.7 motor? Volvo truck division?