IGNORED

MKII speedo help needed..........

Anybody know how to rebuild the speedo on a MKII? I have no idea where to start. My speedo on my 91 quiite working the other day. The odometer and the trip odometer are functioning so Im assuming its not the cable. Just not reading how fast Im going. Had to drive home using the tach to gestimate how fast I was going.

Nay help will be appreciated.

David

Normally when the speed indicator breaks it thrashes around instead of just laying there. Since the odometers are down stream from the speed indicator their working tells you all the drive gears are ok.

I'm willing to bet that the needle is stuck because it's been a bit gummed up and the cooler temps locked it or something decided to spend the winter in there. So, it's probably just cleaning and a bit of light lube on the gems in the movement.

You'll have to pull the cluster to get to it:

- Remove the CMS box from the back of the cluster - it's got a light pipe on it that requires you to rotate it out.

- Remove the brightness control knob (there is a philips screw down in the hole holding it to the shaft).

- There are about eight phillips screws in the back of the cluster that hold the bezel on. Remove them and pull off the bezel.

- Remove the temp gauge from the cluster. This is the worst part because it has 3 little nuts, washers and wires holding it in. The back of the case is marked with the wire colors so you don't have to worry about forgetting where they go.

- Now you can remove the two Philips screws that hold the speedometer in the cluster.

Now you can see the workings of the speedometer. At the back is a worm gear that drives the odometers. On the front of that gear is a bar that spins inside an aluminum cup. The aluminum cup is attached to the same shaft as the speedometer needle. There is also a spring to return the needle to 0.

Looking at the speedometer from the back, the metal cup should turn freely counter clockwise, with light resistance from the spring. It should snap back when released so the needle rests on the stop. I bet it either has some resistance or a nest built on it.

If you decide to remove the needle you need to make some witness marks so you don't loose your calibration. With the needle resting on the 0 stop mark a line on the cup and speedometer frame adjacent to it. Now you know where the cup is positioned at 0 MPH.

By holding the cup so it doesn't turn you can gently twist the needle and pull it off the shaft. When you put it back together twist the needle until the witness marks line up with the needle resting on the stop.

This might all sound scary or confusing, but it's all pretty obvious when you see it.

• 2 weeks later...

just a quicknote to any who tried this and got upset. I did the repair as per Carl's instruction and it worked. But At first I thought it didnt. I thought I would be smart and check it before I reinstalled the whole setup with my cordlessdrill. Well lets just say it doesnt work like that. The odometer was working but not the speedo. So as not knowing what else to do I buttond everyhting back up and figure I'd get up with better minds later. Took the old girl out for a quick spin and the speedo worked. guess the cordless drill just didnt have enough rpm's to get the speedo past the 5 mph start.

Tahnk you Carl as without your explanation of how to do this I mught not have tried it myself.

DAvid