IGNORED

The wife said Okay, I can Build it

Brake Pad

Many years ago when I lived in Alaska and worked in constructions, I used to bring home scrap cedar and redwood. It was mainly 1x or 2x,but it did not make any difference as I ripped it into .25" x .75" strips to what ever length I could get out of it. I glues and laminated the strips together over a jig to make canoes. After the canoe was formed, I used a belt sander to sand all the uneven strips down to smooth and the canoe's wall thickness to .5"or maybe a tad thinner to reduce weight. I removed the jigs on the inside and applied struts and then laid several layers fiberglass resin to seal the wood. Overall cost for me was for water resin glue, finish gun nails, and several gallons of fiberglass resin. So saying all the wood was free!

Overall the 14' canoes weighed around 75 lbs when I finished them, being cedar and redwood were lightweight. I can picture a Tear Drop made in the same fashion and body weighing at a minimal and the beauty of the natural wood would be amazing.

BEER30

No fabric, just several light coats layers of resin. You really do not even have to use resin if you apply a good coat of oils and if you glued/laminated the wood together properly. 50/50 mix of Rawhide and Linseed oil which was plentiful in Alaska and gave a reddish slick finish. I love the look of natural wood to boot!

BEER30

• 1 month later...
I'm not just yet sold on the 2 axle idea............................

Maybe on the straight-a-way it will pull great, but take off in a turn will pull/tug the scoot.

BEER30

a tech from red trailers called yesterday, I sent them the picture of the trailer, I wanted to build, they strongly recommended, not going with a tandem axle trailer. He said, with a tandem axle, the back of the bike would more likely left as coming over hills or bumps, and more so harder to slow down, going down hill. so this is the new build