IGNORED

dodge truck error code

barend

I called the Dodge dealer to ask about an error code I'm getting on my truck: U1421 implausible Ignition Key Off Time Received. For a mere $87 they will tell me what the code means .....:think::think::think: Uhhhh.... I already know what it means, I want to know what causes it and why. Guess i ask too many stupid questions:whistling:

You didn't say which year, engine, etc., but I found a post on the Dodge Cummins Forum where they gave another fellow with the same code a list of things to look for. In the end he replied back that he had forgotten to plug up a wire when he took off some "power adding accessories". :D It probably wouldn't hurt to look for some frayed or loose wires.

Here's the post I referred to... Code post

Did a quick search and it appears to be common with the Cummings.

I found this not sure it is the answer, now you get to figure out how to check these things :rotf:

Brad

U1421-IMPLAUSIBLE IGNITION KEY OFF TIME RECEIVED

Possible causes are

CAN B OPEN OR SHORTED

CLUSTER MODULE

FCM (TOTALLY INTEGRATED POWER MODULE)

ECM

U1421-IMPLAUSIBLE IGNITION KEY OFF TIME RECEIVED

For a complete wiring diagram Refer to Diagrams/Electrical .

• When Monitored: Ignition on.
  • Set Condition: The fuel volume message the ECM is receiving is implausible. The circuit is continuously monitored. One Trip fault.

http://library.alldatapro.com/alldata/LIB~C47276~R0~OB0~P3R0H~N/0/128809663/133161733/150241583/150241585/34853741/34857029/34857030/34857663/122915129/145252585/154941165/138320998/136281563

Always perform the Pre-Diagnostic Troubleshooting procedure before proceeding. See: Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview .

Theory of Operation

The Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) isn't receiving a fuel volume signal over CAN B from the Cluster Module. The TIPM has to send the PCM a fuel volume signal over CAN C. The signal the TIPM sends over CAN C is implausible.

Diagnostic Test

1. ACTIVE DTC

Ignition on, engine not running.

With a scan tool read DTCs.

Is the DTC Active at this time?

Yes

• Go To 2

No

2. CAN B BUS HARDWARE DTCS ALSO ACTIVE

With a scan tool check for DTCs in the TIPM.

Are any CAN B Hardware related DTCs active at this time?

Yes

No

http://library.alldatapro.com/images/blnk_spc.gif© 2010 ALLDATA LLC. All rights reserved.Terms of Use

It's a 2007 with the 6.2 liter Cummins, straight drive. It's that clean burning engine variety.

I guess the question is whether this is a real problem or just a way for Dodge to get people to come in and make money?

See my previous reply for the trouble tree for that code. If there are no other codes it looks like it may be the PCM. (Powertrain Control Module) If it is under 100,000 miles I think it should be still under the emissions warrantee. Anyway you go it will have to be scanned to find the problem.