IGNORED

saddlebag wont stay latched

Motorpig

Alright...i'm having a problem and need some advice....I recently lubricated all the hinges and moving parts on my saddlebags...NOW, my right saddlebag will latch closed BUT after riding for a few minutes it pops open. I was able to duplicate this by hitting the bottom of the bag a few times and i can easily get the latch to pop.

I have taken it apart and put it back together. Everything was tight and it is still doing it. I have not seen anyway of making the latches tighter and i'm in need of some help. This didnt happen before i lubed them so im thinking the lube has to wear off but im hoping someone has an idea...

Well...i tried just about everything, i cleaned all the lubricant off to get them back to the way there were but that didn't work, i took the entire saddlebag, hinges, hinge bolts, and locking mechanism apart and everything worked fine and was tight before i even started. I even swapped the latches with the other bag but they worked just fine on the other side...For some reason, the latch just wasnt going down far enough to properly lock...

:lightbulb:

So after long deliberation and a lack of any "good" ideas...i decided to use a hammer and straighten the latches a little bit...so instead of a 90 degree, there more like a 75 degree now...but hey...it worked! Like they say, "If your only tool is a hammer, you'll treat everything like a nail"

(Now i give it about a month or so before the latches break on me)