IGNORED

Motorcycle Cannonball Endurance: Coast to Coast

mini-muffin

When the only old bikes a person gets to see are either in a movie or in the confines of a museum, it's worth the effort to get to see so many of them running down the road. I wish that I had had more time to be able to see more of them as they came down the road to the museum.

THANKS again Mini, your a real SWEETIE !!!!

Guest tx2sturgis

Well they have had an accident in the run and the 1913 Sears is totaled.

Damn.

http://www.motorcyclecannonball.com/images2/MattSears.jpg

Written by Felicia Morgan

Wednesday, 15 September 2010 10:41

For Immediate Release: MATT OLSEN OUT OF THE MOTORCYCLE CANNONBALL LINE UP

Scottsboro, AL~September 14, 2010 – Matt Olsen, Motorcycle Cannonball rider #85, has crashed his motorcycle while riding the Stage 5 section of the historical shore-to-shore run that is on day 5 of the 17 day adventure.

According to Matt’s father, Carl Olsen who is also a rider in the rally, the younger Olsen hit a pothole in the road and went into a shimmy on his 1913 Sears. Olsen had almost straightened his machine out when the wobble turned into a tank slapper and Matt went over the handlebars. His left forearm is broken in both bones, requiring surgery that his father reports he came through very well. Matt is in a cast which will immobilize his arm and wrist for the 6 weeks required to allow the bones to heal correctly. In addition to the arm, Olsen also has numerous face cuts and a “slightly broken nose,” but prognosis is good and there is expected to be no permanent damage. Olsen will fly home from Huntsville, AL to Aberdeen, SD tomorrow afternoon.

The 25-year-old Olsen holds the distinction of being the youngest man to have the title of Iron Butt Rider, having earned the title twice in one week. One title was for riding 1000 miles on the oldest Harley-Davidson, a 1936 H-D Knucklehead with 2-up and then again in the same week for covering the 1000 miles solo on a 1939 H-D.

The determined young man is in good spirits and insisted his father and crew stay on to continue the Cannonball run. Carl relayed a message from his son’s hospital bed, saying Matt was pulling for the rest of the Cannonballers. “This whole event is just awesome. The riders are all working together and helping each other to make as many miles as they possibly can and it’s revitalizing their spirit. Everybody’s in it for everybody else. I will definitely be back next year.”

It won’t be on the Sears, however, since the bike is reportedly totaled.

We at the Motorcycle Cannonball all wish you a speedy recovery, Matt, and you’ll be riding with us in our hearts and minds as we roll into Santa Monica.

Talk about an experience! I rolled in, not too long ago, after a meet and eat over there in Clovis and checking out some of these bikes. I left my camera cable at my office so I won't be able to upload any pictures tonight, but I know SOMEONE else in the area has some (and I'll get 'em up sometime tomorrow).

Anyone near this route or any of the stopping points, I would suggest you take a ride to see these bikes in person :happy65:

Brian: It was nice spending some time with you too :thumbsup2:

Guest tx2sturgis

I have just deleted a couple of sub-par pictures uploaded from the iphone, using the tapatalk app.

I'm too tired tonite to mess with it, but will upload some pics tomorrow off of my camera.

Had a very nice visit with LilBeaver, (Rick), and his passenger, Britney....we even took in a local bar-n-grill for dinner. I also met Buzz Kanter, Editor in Chief of American Iron Magazine, and Patrick Simmons of the Doobie Brothers and his lovely wife, Cris Sommer-Simmons, who is riding in the Cannonball. Cris is an accomplished publisher and writer. She also starred in the TBS 'Biker Women' production back in the mid 90's.

And the best part was seeing and hearing these old bikes in action. Amazing.

More later!

Guest tx2sturgis

Ok...here are some pics from the Clovis NM stop of the Motorcycle Cannonball Run, including a pic of Rick (LilBeaver) and his friend Britney, both standing behind the orange "Flying Merkel" Motorcycle.

This was an impressive lineup of antique motorcycles, many of which I have never even heard of.

These riders are navigating on unfamiliar roads, with high speed traffic, stiff westerly winds, no windshields, very limited parts availability, and in most cases, uncomfortable seats, bars, and pegs. Sometimes the 'gasohol' they have to buy at convenience stores along the way is unsuitable for these old bikes and they dont run well at all. Speeds in most cases are 40 mph or less, with 5-10 hp motors. Some of these old machines have essentially zero forward and rear lighting, with battery operated bicycle headlights and tailights just to make them legal, and bareley visible if they get caught on the roads after dark. Many carried gas cans or auxiliary gas tanks because some of these bikes have less than a 100 mile range on the stock tank.

They each carry a paper route chart mounted on the handlebars, with instructions to follow so they stay on course. GPS? These guys and gals dont need no stinking GPS!

Very impressive.

The last picture shows a unique BMW sidecar support rig, equipped to haul a stranded antique motorcycle, if the need arrises.

I highly recommend anyone near the route or the stops go check it out.

Edited by tx2sturgis