IGNORED

sorry for asking this question

naturbar

Guest tx2sturgis
i've used the search button on here but cannot get info i need. i know i've seen it discussed many times ..... 2007 RSTD how much oil do you use @ oil change ??

With a new filter, it will take about 3.5 quarts, maybe a tad more. Put 3 quarts in, run the engine for a minute to fill the filter, then put in about 1/2 quart. Run the engine again. Check your sightglass with the bike level, and add till its about half way up the sightglass.

With a new filter, it will take about 3.5 quarts, maybe a tad more. Put 3 quarts in, run the engine for a minute to fill the filter, then put in about 1/2 quart. Run the engine again. Check your sightglass with the bike level, and add till its about half way up the sightglass.

3.5 qts vs 2.75 qts is quite a difference - why the discrepancy?

3.5 qts vs 2.75 qts is quite a difference - why the discrepancy?

I think you mean 3.5 vs 3.75

FLB - you use the longer (3.5"?) Purolator filter, correct? That could account for the 8 fl. oz (.25 qt) of a difference.

I use the shorter filter and, like TX2Sturgis, end up with 3.5 qts +/- .25qt.

Ok...I have to ask...are you guys using a measuring cup or what?

Now why did you ask that?:think:

:confused24: I do...7 of the 16oz Ratio Right measuring cup and then 6.5 ozs usually comes just about right. Old motocross racing thing I guess. On the 2 strokes you had to loosen a screw to see if the oil level was right or dump the premeasured amount in and GO.

Sorry it is the way I am wired.

FLB - you use the longer (3.5"?) Purolator filter, correct? That could account for the 8 fl. oz (.25 qt) of a difference.

I use the shorter filter and, like TX2Sturgis, end up with 3.5 qts +/- .25qt.

yep, plus I fill mine to the top line instead of the center of the glass.

Guest scarylarry
yep, plus I fill mine to the top line instead of the center of the glass.

When I fill to the top line it will burp oil out the vent tube, so 1/2 to 3/4 and no oil burping