IGNORED

Another bad accident in the Midwest.

Snaggletooth

LITTLE SIOUX, Iowa -- Four people died in a crash Monday evening on Interstate 29 near Little Sioux, Iowa.

KETV NewsWatch 7's Adrian Whitsett reported seeing three bodies covered with sheets amid the wreckage of several motorcycles and a pick-up truck. A fourth victim died after being transported to Creighton University Medical Center in Omaha.

According to the Iowa State Patrol, the driver of a red pick-up truck headed north crossed the center line and hit the motorcycles, which were headed south. The accident took place in a construction zone where northbound and southbound traffic run next to each other.

Iowa Department of Public Safety spokesperson Courtney Greene told KETV NewsWatch 7 three of the victims were from Iowa, the fourth was from Nebraska. No identities were released Monday evening.

The driver of the pick-up was taken by ambulance to a hospital for treatment.

As of 8:10 p.m, Interstate 29 remained closed. Northbound I-29 traffic was being diverted at Little Sioux, Iowa. Southbound traffic was sent off the interstate at Blencoe.

Ya just never know what's going to happen anymore. Damn shame. I've seen cagers trying to pass traffic in these types of work areas.

Mike

Edited by Snaggletooth

Well the have identified all the riders. All local boys to Omaha and Glenwood, IA area. The fella from Omaha was the general manger of M's Pub in the Market. Nice place and a nice guy.

The driver that hit them is suspected to have been under the influence. Be weeks or more before charges will be filed as they want to find out why he crossed into the other lane.

There was concert in Sioux City yesterday and there were a lot of folks headed that way. Everybody in a hurry ya know and tuning up for the show.

Sad situatation.

Mike

Well, I just got home from the memorial service that was held for the riders that were killed in that crash. I have to say I was impressed by what I saw tonight.

Three of the riders killed were vets, American Legion Riders and Patriot Guard Riders also. Needless to say, the turnout was impressive. The Legion Riders, PGR's, Star Touring, Goldwings, and about every local club in the area from every level of the cycling community. I talked to riders from S.D, New Mexico, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Texas, and I don't know how many other states. There were corporate types standing along side the average Joe and the 1%ers, many with tears in their eyes.

All types of riders showing respect for the fallen.

I couldn't count the bikes tonight. Too many spread over a lot of ground. The shots I took were only maybe a third of what was there.

What I saw tonight kind of brought home the fact that we are all riders. No matter the brand, club status, or way of life when things get ugly.....we all need to stand together to support each other. It can happen. It did tonight.

With Respect,

Mike

We also had one killed here Sunday where a cager pulled across in front of a guy on a Harley dresser and the rider wreaked trying to miss the driver. No contact, but in Tennessee you can be charged the same if you caused the crash, even with no contact.

RandyA

Hey Randy'

I moved up to Tn 3 years ago. I am near Murfreesboro. I love the great places to ride here in mid Tn. The only thing I do not like is that there are no shoulders on these roads. If you have to swerve to avoid a car, animals or debris you have no place to go. All the roads have a ditch along side. Some even have 5 to 6 foot drop offs! You do not need to be actually hit by a cage to get seriously injured or killed.

Don

• 1 month later...

Well it's been over a month since that accident and I just saw that there are civil suits being filed on the young man that hit and killed the riders. That was expected. Eventually......

What I also saw was the NO CRIMINAL charges has been brought against him yet. It's been five weeks. He's out walking around. No jail time. Not being held.

What I saw is that they have released the results of his blood alcohol test. FOUR TIMES THE LEGAL LIMIT!! Medical personell have stated he should have been in a coma at that level.

What else I saw was that a man that beat his girlfriend so severly that she had to have facial reconstruction done was just sentenced to FIVE years in prison.

What else I saw was that four young men that attacked, robbed and killed a pizza delivery guy last Friday were arrested and are being held on $2,500,000 and $5,000,000 bonds.

I guess it's because of the nature of each act that it's different right? No real intent to do harm, no premeditated act, he wasn't in control of his actions at the time. Whatever.

It just ain't rght ya know.

Bugs me a bit.

Mike

:bobby:I know this is hard to hear, but give it more time. I am an accident reconstructionist here in Dauphin County. The last DUI Homicide charge I brought against someone took six months to file. That might seem like alot, but please believe me, we are not dragging our feet. Understand, we get one shot at it (bringing the criminal charge), you want to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you proceed. If you know someone who does what I do for a living, ask them. The attention to the detail can be overwhelming, that's why alot of cops can't/don't want to do it. It might seem like it's taking too long, many of the families I deal with would agree with you, but as bad as that seems, imagine if they didn't do a thorough investigation, and the guy walked altogether? I think we can agree, that would be far worse. Let those "boys in blue" do their jobs, it'll work out in the end. I've been to many crash trainings across the state and the country. Most of the reconstructionists I've met are very thorough, and dedicated to getting it right. Please, give it more time. Don

PS-The report I prepared for the case mentioned above was over 300 pages long, and it was a relatively simple two-vehicle, head-on crash. One involving multiple vehicles, especially motorcycles would be much more complicated.

Edited by DONATALIE
PS added

Morning DONATALIE,

Yeah, I understand that. I worked in transportations safety for 13 years and worked with way too many guys in your line of work over those years. Accidents cause nightmares for the drivers, their families, the companies they work for and the people to who are there to determine why they happend and how.

You guys provide "Proof beyond a reasonable doubt" that is the bottom line. What you do valuable to everyone and thank you for that.

I still have accident investigation files I can't even stand look at anymore.

I've seen drivers that caused fatal accidents set free at the scene and I've seen drivers held until charges were filed. I've worked with LEO's that had to turn drivers loose and seen the frustration in their face when they did it. They knew......nothing they could do.

It just bugs me .....the same as I'm sure it bugs a lot of LEO's.

Just venting.

Mike

:bobby:I know this is hard to hear, but give it more time. I am an accident reconstructionist here in Dauphin County. The last DUI Homicide charge I brought against someone took six months to file. That might seem like alot, but please believe me, we are not dragging our feet. Understand, we get one shot at it (bringing the criminal charge), you want to make sure you have all your ducks in a row before you proceed. If you know someone who does what I do for a living, ask them. The attention to the detail can be overwhelming, that's why alot of cops can't/don't want to do it. It might seem like it's taking too long, many of the families I deal with would agree with you, but as bad as that seems, imagine if they didn't do a thorough investigation, and the guy walked altogether? I think we can agree, that would be far worse. Let those "boys in blue" do their jobs, it'll work out in the end. I've been to many crash trainings across the state and the country. Most of the reconstructionists I've met are very thorough, and dedicated to getting it right. Please, give it more time. Don

PS-The report I prepared for the case mentioned above was over 300 pages long, and it was a relatively simple two-vehicle, head-on crash. One involving multiple vehicles, especially motorcycles would be much more complicated.

:clap2::thumbsup2: 100% agreement, here!:thumbsup2::clap2:

"No contact, but in Tennessee you can be charged the same if you caused the crash, even with no contact."

Thats how it should be in all the states. Who, in their right, mind is gonna hit 'anything' intentionally on a motorcycle???:confused24:

To be quite honest with you, I have put a LOT of thought and consideration into this very thought. If I get in a situation where I am going to wreck because some a-hole cuts me off - why shouldn't I smash into them instead of sliding off the road, or swerve into oncoming traffic, etc?

I'm talking complete last ditch effort - if I am driving on a typical 6 lane road (3 in each direction) and someone turns onto the road, in front of me with lots of traffic around (which is NOT uncommon in this crazy town) why shouldn't I lock the rear wheel and go down sliding with the intent of making contact with the vehicle instead of taking a chance of swerving and getting smoked by someone driving the opposite direction or swerve into someone next to me (so that it would be my fault)? If I lock the rear wheel and start to go down, then push the bike away - I'll end up on the ground and the bike will slide/tumble. Bada-bing.