IGNORED

passing lamps/stator output 2008 royal star

I had the two side lamps installed when I bought my rstd new. they have a little toggle switch to turn them on and off. I thought they either stayed on all the time, or came on only on low beam. Is there any particular way these lamps are supposed to be used? or is it simply a matter of personal preference? I must admit, I can't tell that much difference as far as better visability when they're on, but maybe that's just because they're not aimed right.

Another question I had was concerning the stator output capacity. I know the older Goldwings came from the factory pretty much at their peak handling capcaity, and you had to be careful about adding on additional light accessories. I was just wondering if the same was true for these yamahas? Thanks for your help.

bill

Guest tx2sturgis

This is covered on many threads and a simple search for either "stator output" or "passing lamps" will bring a lot of results here. There is a search button in the menu bar above.

But to recap most of what you will find:

These Royal Stars have a small amount of extra capacity, but not much. I beleive the stator output is around 30 amps, but thats at FULL output when the motor is turning somewhere around 4000-5000 rpm. The stock electrical system of the bike takes most of this, so some owners upgrade the stator, and gain about 5-10 amps of capacity.

On a stock bike, you can run a couple of 35w passing lamps, and a few extra goodies like maybe heated grips, a GPS, and some additional LED side markers...things like that. You will not have the capacity to run 4 extra 100w landing lights, a 1000 watt subwoofer, and 2 full pairs of heated clothing, not that you would. And dont forget, in the winter, there are 4 electric carb heaters that activate when its cold outside, to supposedly aid in cold weather driveablity, so you might be seeing some reserve wiped out by those.

Several owners mount some kind of voltage monitor, to keep an eye on things.

In most countries, passing lights are legal on low beam, but in reality, you can probably hook them up the way you want them to operate. You may have them pointed too high to make much difference, but normally drivers will flash their high beams at you if they are.

Most riders aim them so that they illuminate the sides of the road some, to help them see oncoming obstacles, like deer.

Hope this helps. And welcome to the forum.

there seems to be a problem with the contacts in the key lock burning/arcing over time if extra lights are on when you turn the key. Its recommended that a relay be used to power the passing lights and other accessories.

Bill; there are many post about this issue and the crappy stator yamaha puts in this great bike..

True, the stock stator puts out 30amp at crusing rpm, and there is a stator you can install that claims to put out 55 apms at about 2000 rpm..

I've run into this last year when I killed a battery...this is what happened to me

Passing lamps pull about 10ams, my Motolamps pull 8amps..that just left 12 amps for the carb heaters and everything else (oh ya, it was cold enough for the carb heaters)..

I installed the new stator in the bike... IMHO what a PIA.... but at this point,,,, I have had no problems with the charging system....

If I continue not having charging issues then all the work I did to the bike over the winter will be all worth it........

I had the two side lamps installed when I bought my rstd new. they have a little toggle switch to turn them on and off. I thought they either stayed on all the time, or came on only on low beam. Is there any particular way these lamps are supposed to be used? or is it simply a matter of personal preference? I must admit, I can't tell that much difference as far as better visability when they're on, but maybe that's just because they're not aimed right.

Another question I had was concerning the stator output capacity. I know the older Goldwings came from the factory pretty much at their peak handling capcaity, and you had to be careful about adding on additional light accessories. I was just wondering if the same was true for these yamahas? Thanks for your help.

bill

My dealer installed the lights so they

A) shared the fuse with the head lamp

B) came on only when the low beam was on

C) with the lens upside down on one side

Check C) today. There is a TOP designation on the lens, and that will ensure you are getting the light in the proper direction.

The little switch on the lamp shorted, and it took only one popped fuse to make me realize A) was a dumb idea. I was left with no forward lights! I disliked B) straight off. I use the passing lamps to spot deer, and why would I want that with only low beams?

So like many members here, I ran power from the battery to the lamp bucket. I use a relay from the front marker lights to energize a relay, so that when my bike is on, so are the passing lamps. They thus stay on during high beam as well as low.

I think today I'll take out the switch. My lights are screwed up again, and it will certainly be that crap switch. It always is.

Dave

there seems to be a problem with the contacts in the key lock burning/arcing over time if extra lights are on when you turn the key. Its recommended that a relay be used to power the passing lights and other accessories.

Or put a HID headlight bulb in and you just use the stock headlight wiring to activate the relay, and you consume even less power than the stock bulb.