Last Friday I encountered, for the first time in the 112,000 miles that I have ridden this bike, fuel coming from one of the over flow tubes. Once I isolated the correct carburator, which was the right rear one, I pulled the hose off going to the fuel inlet port and blew compressed air into the bowl. It did blow some gas out of at least one of the top jets, but after I started the bike up, it fixed the problem. Since then, I have put almost 600 miles on it and it is running great.

If you don't have compressed air, you could probably just spray some carb cleaner into the inlet port and do the same thing, especially if you can seal up the inlet tube and spray tube some.

RandyA

I want to say thanks for this idea. I cleaned the carbs on my '86, thought they were about as perfect as you could want. Put them on the bike and filled the float bowls and still had fuel coming out the one overflow port (right rear....coincidence?).

After a couple of shots of compressed air (and an unanticipated fuel fountain), no more leaking from the overflow port. Buttoned it up and went for a 100 mile ride last night.

The bike ran great through the mountains and probably got 40 mpg on the ride. Beating a thunderstorm up the freeway to home the last 35 miles probably dropped the mpg but still had a great time.

Dave

Just watch your eyes... it can spew outta there might quick and if your head is right over the carb bank, you could be in for a rude shock.

You don't even have to ask how I know.. I didn't get it right in the eye, but the merciless beating I put to my own rear end for not thinking was painful.

PS: I was having random carbs get stuck floats off and on for a while. Marcarl reasoned it may have been the fuel line (original) breaking down and little bits of rubber. I replaced the line and after 1 more stuck float, I haven't had the issue since. Just thought I should pass it along.

Last Friday I encountered, for the first time in the 112,000 miles that I have ridden this bike, fuel coming from one of the over flow tubes. Once I isolated the correct carburator, which was the right rear one, I pulled the hose off going to the fuel inlet port and blew compressed air into the bowl. It did blow some gas out of at least one of the top jets, but after I started the bike up, it fixed the problem. Since then, I have put almost 600 miles on it and it is running great.

If you don't have compressed air, you could probably just spray some carb cleaner into the inlet port and do the same thing, especially if you can seal up the inlet tube and spray tube some.

RandyA

Randy, I'm glad you got the overflow fixed. I have one concern that bothers me though. I don't know for sure but it seems to me if you introduce compressed air into such a small chamber as the bowl, you could possibly run the risk of crushing your floats. Now if you still want to use compressed air for this purpose, IMHO, you should start by opening the drain screws on each bowl, then using a very small burst of very low pressure. Basically all you are needing to do is dislodge something from between the float needle seat and the float needle. This will allow pressure and the contaminant to go straight out the drains. Then before closing off the drains, put the inlet hose back on and let the fuel pump flush out the bowls.

If you have never seen what the needle looks like. It's simply a bit of rubber on the end of a piece of aluminum that ride in the inlet tube. The rubber get old and oxidizes and makes it easier to leak or grab the naughty dirty bits coming from the fuel tank. I changed 3 out of 4 this year. I know I will regret in the future not doing the 4th.

Edited by jasonm.

I performed the same compressed air a couple times back in the early 90's. That was on an 86 VR. However, I used a can of "Air" used to clean computer key boards. I just stuck the small plastic air tube up the fuel drain hose and gave it a couple small bursts. Had the same results. Never happened again to that bike. Much safer imo.