IGNORED

Changing the grips

I am switching from the OEM grips to ISO grips from Kuryakin. Left side was a breeze. Is there any secret to accessing the screws on the throttle body housing? Seems like the faring is in the way of getting a screwdriver in there with leverage.

I am switching from the OEM grips to ISO grips from Kuryakin. Left side was a breeze. Is there any secret to accessing the screws on the throttle body housing? Seems like the faring is in the way of getting a screwdriver in there with leverage.

Don't think you have to touch those,,, I don't have a 2nd gen, I have a 1st gen and there is no reason to remove anything but the grips themselves. Just either blow them off with air or cut them off with a knive.

Guest PlaneCrazy

He needs to remove the throttle sleeve on the right hand side (unless he bought the cheaper Universal fit grips).

There's one screw there that is pretty close to the fairing and is also blocked by the brake reservoir. What I did was loosen the two hex head bolts holding the bar clamp on that holds the brake reservoir and mirror, then I moved that just enough to get my screwdriver under there. You can use a piece of tape to mark the position it was at before you start and don't try and rotate the switchbox that is on that side as it has a locating pin siting in a hole in the handlebar.

I used a medium size screwdriver to break the torque on the screw and then I used an offset bit-holder to run it out and put it back in after the grip was changed.

http://s7.sears.com/is/image/Sears/00941716000-1