IGNORED

Intercom issues

T.J.

I have a 04 Venture. I have had mic-mutes for three years now. Has been working great.

Yesterday the wife and I went for a short ride. Right off the bat the communication was bad. A lot of noise and terrible clicking when we hit the talk buttons. One LOUD click when either button is pushed to talk and two LOUD clicks when you turn it off. It is really bad. Not fun at all.

I have the driver and passenger seats off and have checked all connections.

Any ideas?

Try this and see if it helps. Take the mic mute connection apart where the fuse is and clean the connections good. It may not work but it is worth the try. I had a problem with my mic mute and doing this corrected my problem.

Try this and see if it helps. Take the mic mute connection apart where the fuse is and clean the connections good. It may not work but it is worth the try. I had a problem with my mic mute and doing this corrected my problem.

I am out here with the lap top keeping in touch. I have cleaned all contacts with no results. I have the helmet plugged in and kept hitting the talk switch every time I did something. I could always here it. I just kept hitting the switch both front and back and now I have nothing. The loud popping was always there. The bike not running. I checked the fuse again and it is still good.:confused07::confused24:

I have a lot of money tied up into this system including the mic-mute to just say forget it. The only thing left is to get inside the little mic-mute box that is by the battery.

Thanks for your in put ediddy.

Might I suggest disabling the 'mic-mute' system to see if your problem goes away?

If your clicking goes away, you can be pretty sure that it is, in fact, something with the mic-mute thingy.

If that is the case, maybe it would be worth-while contacting the folks that make mic-mute (I'm pretty sure they are a member here, I just do not recall their name right now) and see if they can come up with a way to test the little box itself.

Without having access to a circuit diagram of the unit, I really can't be much help. That and I have never used or seen a mic-mute system in person.

Sorry, believe me, I know how frustrating electrical issues can become. Hopefully you will get this figured out relatively quickly.

:confused24::080402gudl_prv:

My intercom was making a real loud screech, like a back feed, I cleaned every connection I could find, I would stil get the screech some times, last sat. the wife and my self were riding to a M&E and now I have nothing, I still get the radio through the headsets but no intercom or CB... I am going to disconnect the mic-mutes and see if I have a problem there....

I have had trouble with mine since shortly after being installed. If I hit a bump it goes off. another bump it comes back on. Loud squeal is common. I have checked every connection several times. my next step is to take the ptt switch apart and see if the problem is in there. I was told the problem couldn't be in the box itself and to check my connections. when it is working it is great. I do like having it and would like to figure out what the problem is. Let me know how anyone else makes out.

Hey RJD,

That's the problem I had with mine. When I would hit a bump it would activate and I would have to press the ptt button for it to go off. I emailed Bill @ mic mutes and he suggested I clean the connectors where the fuse is. I cleaned them and sprayed will electrical cleaner and I also sprayed my ptt switch with the electrical spray and now the mic mute works fine.

My intercom was making a real loud screech, like a back feed, I cleaned every connection I could find, I would stil get the screech some times, last sat. the wife and my self were riding to a M&E and now I have nothing, I still get the radio through the headsets but no intercom or CB... I am going to disconnect the mic-mutes and see if I have a problem there....

Yep, same here. We get the radio but no intercom. I don't think we can just disconnect the mic-mutes without alot of removing certain things that we spliced into. I will have to find the directions for the install.:doh:

We don't have "Mic-Mutes" on our bike, but I have had a problem with the CB push-to-talk mic switch. I think that "Mic-Mutes" uses the CB push-to-talk mic switch to toggle the intercom, right? If so, the problem could just be oxidized, (dirty), switch contacts. I simply opened the handlebar controls and cleaned and greased the switch contacts. The switch is very simple and easy to clean.

I`m gonna give that a try....I really like the mic mutes so hope the problem isn`t with that unit..:fingers-crossed-emo

We don't have "Mic-Mutes" on our bike, but I have had a problem with the CB push-to-talk mic switch. I think that "Mic-Mutes" uses the CB push-to-talk mic switch to toggle the intercom, right? If so, the problem could just be oxidized, (dirty), switch contacts. I simply opened the handlebar controls and cleaned and greased the switch contacts. The switch is very simple and easy to clean.

This is just an update on my problem.

Yesterday I finally split the fairing and disconnected the Mic-Mutes. I had checked all connections and cleaned everything before doing this. The unit was dead. If I used the CB with out the Helmet plugged in, the CB switch would work through the speakers. As soon as I plugged in the helmet the CB switch would go dead. Didn't matter what Helmet I used. None of them worked.

With Mic-Mutes disconnected I now have intercom again. The only thing left is to take the tank off to get the telephone wire out. I only have to do this if I want to save the wire.:confused24:

They worked good for three years.

It is good to have the fairing split anyway because I bought a Zumo 660 to hook up. The only thing I have to do is connect it to the intercom. To do that I must find some wires.

It is always an adventure installing something to a bike. Sometimes I think I should have left everything stock. Life would be more simple but maybe not as much fun.:)

Thanks for the update. Sorry your "MicMute" died.:depressed:

There are, :backinmyday:or at least used to be, in-line switches available that allow you turn the mic on and off. I looked into these a few years ago, but simply decided to turn the intercom volume up or down as needed.

:Venture: