IGNORED

Chicago - How to avoid???

Wizard765

So after the rally in Potato creek we are intending to run up the west side of Lake Michigan to Escanaba and then across to Sault St Marie followed by Tobermory. Question is

What is the BEST way to get around Chicago?? That is the only part of the trip that I'm not looking forward to.

Wayne

Well, there's a high speed ferry from Michigan City? across to Milwaukee. Otherwise I-294 is the outer belt around Chi-town. It'll get you North on I-94 (torn up in places from IL state line to Milwaukee). I-43 North out of Milwaukee, then you can (if you've got time) do some nice two lanes along the lake front from around Port Washington to Green Bay. Let me know if you need more...

+1 to taking 294. It is about 15 miles longer to go around on 294 in comparison to the shortest route which is the 'skyway' (that happens to overlook a rather dumpy part of the city). The end of last summer the department of transportation actually finished the several year project of rebuilding, repaving and expanding the section of 94 north of where 294 and 94 come back together and it is now 3 lanes (each way of course) all the way to the Wisconsin border. It is actually quite nice now.

As others have said. Avoid rush hours, and expect a slow down +/- a few miles from the Indiana/Illinois border where 94, 294, 80 and 65 come together/split off - that is almost always a zoo. People drive fast but the police have speed cameras up now (that work - just ask my brother :crackup: -- it is hard for him to drop my name and get out of a ticket now that those are all automated) So in some parts that has helped with the speed some. Just keep 'er in the right lane and if you really want to be safe, pace your self at a speed that is slightly faster than the SENSIBLE semis (that is the ones that are not weaving in and out of traffic) and you'll be fine.

Keep your eyes peeled and your brakes covered, there are some crazies out there.

:080402gudl_prv:

By the way, Exit 26 (go south) in Indiana off of 94 (the Valparaiso/Chesterton exit) has a reasonable selection of restaurants and fuel stations and I have found it to be a very conveinent place to break before hitting the racetrack around Chicago and also a good way to avoid the ridiculously over priced 'over the road' conveniences not to mention the fuel is much cheaper there.

Exit 12 (Sawyer) off of 94 in Michigan has a nice truck stop that is also handy. Between Exit 12 (Sawyer) and 60 (Paw Paw) (on 94 in Michigan) there is not much - maybe 1 or 2 fuel stops if I recall correctly.

Oh, there is a nice little restaurant in a hotel off of Highway 50, a few miles into Wisconsin off of 94 called the Chancery Pub. Stop in there for a bowl of "Beer Cheese Soup with a big pretzel" It is quite tasty :happy34:

Off subject...but if your camping...a wonderful city park campground is located right north of Escanaba in Gladstone. We've gone back twice because it's so nice! It's located right on the lake. Showers really clean, beautiful scenery, nice lake breezes, and about $15.00 a night!

I love it up there! Our tent was about 15 steps from the lake and it was terrific!

OH, for cutting across the U.P. - especially since you are going to be passing through the Sault, I would highly reccomend buzzing north through escanaba (on 41) until you hit M-28, then take that east. It is a MUCH nicer drive than along US-2. Far fewer people around, along lake superior, and quite frankly, a much prettier drive (in my opinion).

OH, for cutting across the U.P. - especially since you are going to be passing through the Sault, I would highly reccomend buzzing north through escanaba (on 41) until you hit M-28, then take that east. It is a MUCH nicer drive than along US-2. Far fewer people around, along lake superior, and quite frankly, a much prettier drive (in my opinion).

Thanks Rick:

This is the kind of stuff that I'm looking for. I have never been in that area so any advice is very welcome. Roads to take.. things to look for etc..

Thanks everyone for your input.

I LOVE this club.. mostly because people help each other.. Awsome....

Wayne

I am almost doing the opposite. My family has a conflicting family reunion in Battle Creek on 18 July.... After that, I am going up and across the Mighty Mac to spend the night in Sault Ste Marie. It's a trip I did countless times as a kid with my family, and I want to show it to my wife. We're camping, hopefully, although SSM seems light on campgrounds. Other lodging advice there?

Then we are going across to the Keweenaw peninsula, since I've never been to the tip. I plan to stop at Tahquamenon Falls. Has anyone stayed at Fort Wilkins State Park?

Then I need to get her to Green Bay and a flight home. :-(

But I'm hoping to make time and pick up some states on my visited map. Fargo it is via Minneapolis, then Omaha.

So I'm not avoiding Chicago (thank goodness!) but I do appreciate the advice on Hwy 28.

Dave

Taking 28 is better then 2 but when you get into the Hiawatha National Forest take 123 North to Lake Superior Shoreline Rd. Take it east and it hugs the south shore. Take it to the Mackinac Trail / Co Rd 63 North into Sault Ste Marie. Good ride, rode that way when I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour.

Then we are going across to the Keweenaw peninsula, since I've never been to the tip. I plan to stop at Tahquamenon Falls. Has anyone stayed at Fort Wilkins State Park?

Dave

If you make it into the Keweenaw the BEST road in the whole state is there. 26 from Eagle River to Copper Harbor is Awesome. Have your camera ready. Just thinking about that road makes me want to head up there.

If you make it into the Keweenaw the BEST road in the whole state is there. 26 from Eagle River to Copper Harbor is Awesome. Have your camera ready. Just thinking about that road makes me want to head up there.

Gotta agree with you.....nice roads all over up there and the best part....not a lot of traffic!!

I'll have a tail gunner with a camera. :) This is the section along the lake north of Houghton? I can't find Eagle River. :(

Dave

That is a rather sweet ride. Don't forget Highway 203 between Houghton and Calumet. ;)

Thanks Rick:

This is the kind of stuff that I'm looking for. I have never been in that area so any advice is very welcome. Roads to take.. things to look for etc..

Thanks everyone for your input.

I LOVE this club.. mostly because people help each other.. Awsome....

Wayne

No problem. Hope you have an enjoyable trip.

Taking 28 is better then 2 but when you get into the Hiawatha National Forest take 123 North to Lake Superior Shoreline Rd. Take it east and it hugs the south shore. Take it to the Mackinac Trail / Co Rd 63 North into Sault Ste Marie. Good ride, rode that way when I did the Lake Superior Circle Tour.

^^^ This is good too, this will ad some time to your ride though, but if you are out to enjoy the scenery - this is another good one for that.

Here are some U.P. 'teaser' photos. SPOILER ALERT!!

#1: In Eagle Harbor,

#2 Copper Harbor,

#3-5 Upper Tahquamenon falls (there are 2)

#6-9 Presque Isle in Marquette,

#10 Sugarloaf 'mountain' overlooking Presque Isle (about 3-5 miles north of Marquette off of 550)

#11-12 bridge at Agate falls (Impressive water fall there too)

Edited by LilBeaver