IGNORED

Ins Question

OutlawRider

Ins. questions,

Looking to change to Progressive. My question is how many carry PIP coverage. Is it worth what they want ( it is high) or do you just count on your medical coverage. Thanks for the input.

I carry it. I'm as cheap as anybody, but being under-insured is too dang scary for me.

I have Progressive and I am quite happy with them. I'm of the opinion that cheap insurance is not a bargain. Here's why:

In '05 I was run over by an uninvited visitor from the very, very south. No license, no insurance, no green card, no habla, no stick around. He moved into the oncoming turn lane, then used the same maneuver to move into my lane. I got t-boned by a left turner after I had cleared the intersection. I tried an emergency lane change when I saw his wheel begin across the double yellows, which is probably why I'm still around. He got me at a 45 degree angle, rather than head-on.

He stopped in the intersection for a moment - never did roll down the tinted window of the Neon he was driving. It had the lock ripped out and was used freely by a group of uninvited visitors. Apparently it wasn't actually registered to anybody real. After a forty minute car chase he was cuffed and stuffed. After the local Prosecutor, who apparently needed discount lawn care, plea bargained most of the charges away, they let him off with 90 days.

Progressive paid off the bike and gave me a modest check for the balance. I'd had my shiny new '05 RSMV about six months (just ready to roll over 10k that week) and was well on the way to paying it off. I only got back about a third of my down payment, but the numbers were exactly in line with the values at the time.

I was out of work for a year, between rebuilding the crushed leg, a bone graft, and all the therapy. Medical cost to keep me alive and rebuild my leg: $150,000 +. At one point I even had to take Lovenox at $1000 a shot. Total outlay by insurance companies: $250,000 +. It wound up split pretty evenly between Progressive and my health insurance.

I had max PIP and Uninsured/Underinsured through Progressive. I got my insurance online and at first felt that I'd probably bought too much. I had good health insurance through my work. My health insurance was quite insistent that Progressive pay off completely before they'd pick up anything. By the time it was over I was glad I'd gotten as much insurance as I had.

I was very glad I had the Un/Under. I was put on Workman's Comp, which doesn't pay particularly well. The check the Progressive agent brought me not only kept us going for that year, but allowed me to pay cash for my replacement '06 RSV.

Today I'm still with Progressive. They didn't raise my rates. In fact, in spite of the $150,000 +- they paid out, my payment went down a little while my coverage went up. I'm still maxed out on PIP, and Un/Under. Is it cheap? Nope. I pay about a grand a year. Is it better than owing a hospital a ton of money, losing my vehicles and home, and living on welfare for a year? Yep. I fully intend to do it again next year.

Only people that live in Oregon can answer your question. I don't know what PIP is. We had a no fault law in Georgia in the 1970's and PIP was a part of the no fault law. There was more to PIP than medical payments. The figures showed that sixty cents of every dollar paid for liability claims went to lawyers so with the no fault law your company paid your medical expense, loss of time from work, essential services benefits and even a death benefit regardless of who was at fault. The other persons PIP paid them regardless of who was at fault. This was supposed to save money by keeping the lawyers out of every claim. The law was repealed in 1985 because the cost went up instead of going down. Why? There was a threshold where lawyers couldn't sue but if the threshold was exceeded lawyers could still sue. The threshold was so low, lawyers figured how to exceed it. For example, if your medical bills were more than $500.00 you could sue. Didn't take the lawyers long to get you to go to the choiropractor until you exceeded $500.00. If you were disabled for one day you could sue. So, the no fault law didn't do what it was supposed to do. The legislature tried to increase the threshold to stop so many law suits but guess what? The legislature is mostly lawyers so the law didn't have a chance and was replealed so in Georgia we're back to suing. So, unless you live in Oregon and know what the PIP covers you can't give accurate advice but being in the insurance business for 37 years my first thought would be to get the maximum coverage you can get.