Howdy. I have an 83 venture standard bought in about 01'. My original speedometer quit working last winter cable snapped, popped the speedo needle off and with a new cable it doesn't work at all. Found another cluster on ebay and bought it with the understanding that the speedometer works. Put it on, and speedometer stays on Zero but the odometer works and seems to be counting the miles pretty accurately. I removed the cluster and opened the cover and the speedo needle seems to be free, not stuck, and always returns to zero if moved a little. How could the odometer & tripmeter be working when the speedometer isn't ? I bought it fairly cheaply so it's not worth shipping back.

Thanks in advance.

DesertRider

There are two types of operations that go on in a Venture speedo.The cable drives a gear system that is calibrated by revolutions to give you distance . It is also connected to a calibrated D"arsenval movement system(The arm on a speedo).If the speedo system part fails, you will still get odometer readings.:fingers-crossed-emo