IGNORED

GPS Audio

halfwitt

I am checking out various GPS units. The boss is not going to approve a $500.00 unit. I don't care about the MP3 or XM on the Garmin. I already have both. There appear to be several in the $250-$300 range. I have two questions -

First - how are you wiring these? Are you just using the lighter adpater or battery for power or are you hard wiring them?

Secondly, if I'm going to be using a GPS it will most likely be riding two up with my wife. We will have communicator using the factory plug. We also have MP3 player coming through the speakers. How do you manage to hear voice prompts from your GPS? Can you tap in to the communicator line? Are these loud enough so that you can hear them anyway?

Thanks for any help!

Guest sargeb13

I think you'll have a hard time doing it for under $500.

Unless you hard wire a GPS, you're going to have a daily hassle changing batteries, or charging the GPS, or plugging it in. So, you need a power cable at, say $35 (unless included).

If you set it up to run audio it will not "override" music or intercom. If you plug it into the "aux" socket, for example, then you'd need to switch off FM and go to "aux" to hear the GPS. To set up to override both music and interecom, you'd need an interface device like a kennedy unit or a J&M integration unit. I don't know what they cost these days, maybe $100 or $150 bucks? Also, a cable from the GPS to the integration unit, maybe another $30?

That leaves only $300 or less for the GPS, which narrows your options a lot. Now, having said that, a friend of mine just picked up a used BMW Navagator II, which is essentially a Garmin 2620? Streetpilot, and its a swell unit: not up to a Zumo or a Rider 2, but still a pretty decent GPS with a full range of features. I'd guess you could get one refurbished for under $300 delivered? I'd suggest looking at getfeetwet.com or some other discount house to see what's out there. At least you need a screen you can easily see when you're riding, without taking eyes off the road for long to squint at a tiny screen, and that limits your choices a bit.

Hope this helps.

Michael

I use a MIO 310x and can be found on Ebay new in the box for $199. It has MP3 and runs off the auxilarry power. I have installed splitter in the fairing on the AUX jack so the voice commands go through there and override the music. Chaos also uses one of these. I move it between my cars and the bike. I love it!